FSM Budget: What's the Story?

2»

Comments

• Mr. MJ,

Thank you for your response to my comments on one of your previous discussions. I hope you don't view my comments as a countered attack on your views. I do strongly believe that rational discourse is essential from differing point of views to have a better understanding of complex issues as they unfold.

Now, I understand the points made on your behalf concerning the outer islands. While the information you absorbed is actually provided by some natives encountered, I am still reluctant to uphold that as reliable as they do not represent even half of the outer islanders' population to give merit for a reasonable conclusive argument to support your statement that those people are more dependent on imported food stuffs. Perhaps, those info-providers you visited were the unfortunate ones that were directly devastated by the recent typhoons.

However, I am not arguing about the eroding of the islands, the migration of fish, and even the presence of salt water in some of the taro patches on some of the islands because I have also personally witnessed those myself. All these as we know from the experts are happening due to the effect climate change in the world. There is less the island people can do to change the frightening effects of something that should be blamed on the industrialized nations who knowingly contribute to such devastating scenario.

Lastly, I am afraid that even one person with a piece of information can make you draw a conclusion and then generalized everybody based on that mere piece of information. What would you say when seeing me eating Big Mac everyday while residing in the U.S because I don't have "kon" available? Are you going to conclude that all Chuukese are dependent on MacDonald?
  • edited November 2006
    MJ. It's hard to believe that all the department heads of our State of Chuuk's government don't know how to prepare their budgets. Even if they don't, I believe before the state's consolidated budget is forwarded to the national gov't., the budget staff would do a review to make sure everything has met the requirements. Wouldn't they?

Chuuk people are very smart. I know that for a fact. However, not many can volunteer to make a difference. Right? If the budget for an office was found to have missed the requirements, why couldn't someone who knew better did something to correct it? That could safe Chuuk a lot, or the whole nation, in other words, from getting all the negative allegations of not doing the right ways and so forth. When will we ever learn to forget the 'not mine, not for me' attitude and start to say, 'I will do it for your sake' manner?

Many things in Chuuk can be done without costing too much money. The budget proposal could have come out perfectly if any of the smart guys like yourself, MJ, lend a hand if you found many people couldn't. I know, I know, you are going to say, 'it's easy for me to say' but I'm very serious about this. Many of you people down there no longer think like a true Chuukese. We all claim we are Chuukese, we know this and that, but we forget about the old saying, 'deeds speak louder than words.' Lend a hand when necessary is a true Chuukese way. I believe if we keep finding faults without doing anything to better them is the same thing as not caring at all. There's no point in airing in this forum all the complaints if none of you people who are residing in Chuuk is willing to start doing something for a good change.

Let's see. Every morning, before going off to work, instead of waking up at 7:00 o'clock, maybe you can wake at up 6:00am and start collecting trash in your yard, so the closest neighbors will start doing the same. Do this everyday and you'll be surprised to see how many more start to immitate you. Someone has to teach the kids to do this outside of their schools every after school. I bet the parents nowadays do not want their children to mess their beautiful hands anymore. Parents during my time never complained whenever we were put to work detail to make sure the school grounds were clean.

How about all the people who have markets in town to do some courtesy clean up in return to making money on Weno. One day should be dedicated to cleaning around the area of the boatpool all the way up to Fais where all the markets are situated. All the potholes around town could be filled if all the public work people, the cops who look so handsome in their uniforms start rolling up their sleeves in the morning and do some exercise clean up rather than looking useless throughout the day in and out. I would make them work if I were the department head. I would. I really would. We just have to have some creative minds to do something without costing extra money. If we really want to do something, we should start now.

Just so you Chuukese know, I will be in Chuuk from the 14th. I want to do some volunteer work on a day while I'm there beside the work I'm actually going there to do. If anyone of you can relay my message to Marz Akapito and the people who love to do volunteer works, please let's meet when I get there on the 14th at 4:00pm at Shinobu's uut. I'm going to contact her and ask if we could use her uut to meet on that day, if the weather permits. Please be ready with lots of ideas to do volunteer(ly) at least on a day between ll/14-11/24. I'm for it. My contact number is 920-7198. Thank you.

M
  • Hello Hcb:

By reading your reponse to MJ, I understand that you totaly ignore the fact that our islands have limited resources and many baby boomers during the USDA food era are now facing the impact, depenting only on improted food. So hcb, christmass is only a month away. Its better now to send your "APWACH" to whoever on your island. May be your "samolun ainang" needs some coffee, sugar, rice, soap detergent, can meat, you know daily need stuff. Sopun tutu, Thank you
  • Judas,

Pardon me, how could they survive if they are depending "only on imported food"? By the way, my disagreeable response to MJ's contradictory conclusion was based on comparable facts, i.e people of Weno to those of outer islands. As I in fact see the picture, people on Weno are more dependent on imported food than people of the outer islands!
  • For everyone's information and share of our fsm congress secret activities is the recent passage of a bill appropriating over 2 million dollars of our local revenues to be divided equally amongst them under the pork parrel scheme that has become a common practice just before election time.

this over 2 million dollar appropriation is our own money collected from the sweats we worked so hard to provide for our economy...sweats we worked so hard for in order to provide the means of our daily sustenance that now is going to be utilized by speaker and his followers from now till march 6, 2007 election day.
  • Hello Keta

Thanks for your comments, I also assume that you know and heard of me. I am not sure if all the department heads in Chuuk dont know how to prepare their budgets, but from personal experience, I know of a couple. From my own personal experienes, I have seen the problems with Agriculture and Marine Resources. With Marine Resources, problem starts with first the Division Chiefs who arent used to new way of doing project based budgeting, miscommunication and from fact there is no Administrative Officer. In any case, I helped out as much as I could. All I did was take what they gave me and streamlined it. Right now Marine Resources is awaiting word from JEMCO.

Any case thanks for your remarks. As far as volunteering while here here, not sure if anything is planned to happen. Though, I assume your probably going to be here for about 3 weeks with your Micsem project. During that time something could be arranged. I suggest talking with Landgrant Office. Any case I will probably be seeing you since I know one of your coworkers quiet well.

As far as Hcb, I appresiate your dialog. To degree I agree. In relationship to outer islanders people on Weno are more dependent on imports. Though realize, Weno also has more places of Employment then the outer islands. Problem I see with Weno is too many people, not enough jobs, and not enough land to feed everyone local food. You might disagree, but given the geography of Weno, even if you use more efficent farming methods, it wont be an easy task. Though back to the outer islands, it is true that in comparison to Weno they arent so Dependant and that is something I think is good thing. Though from talking to many people from many different outer islands, along with my very limited experience, it seems that outer islanders are using imported foods more than ever. Does this mean that they are no longer using taro or their traditional foods no, not at all.
    The next issue is population. Before I go on, I dont want you to think that I think anything less of Chuukese Family structure. I personaly think that its interesting and love that extended family system is still strong. Fact of having extended family is one way of avoiding some of the problems we have in America with Nuclear families. So what I am going to say, is not an attact on the culture, but simple facts. All the islands, both in lagoon and outer islands are being overcrowded. There are probably more people in Chuuk than there ever has. Your free to disagree, but is there evidence of such huge populations of past, if so please elaborate. Secondly many outer islands know traditionaly about how many people their island can support using their traditional resources. I believe most islands are above that figure. Know how is it that such islands can support such populations without starvation, fighting, or mass migrations. Simple fact is imported foods are artificaly inflating what the islands can handle. This comes at cost of natural resources. Your free to disagree, but its simple logic. As population increases they need more resources. Normaly nature, along with farming can sustain suh a population. If population increases such that island resources cannot handle it, there would be eventual starvation. Ways to get around this is to either have some of the islanders migrate, or to bring resources in from an outside source. What is happening on outer islands isnt yet starvation I think actualy far from it, but the natural resources are declining. If you disagree, take look at turtles for example. Also right now if you go on any boats to outer islands you will often see bags of rice, canned meat and so on. Though right now they arent totaly dependent on such, having such encourges higher populations on such islands. Also such cost money, unlike taro or breadfruit.

Well I can continue, but I believe I will end right now. What I am talking about is scientific principal of population dynamics. Amazingly I see many cases in local legends and stories. From how Halls were settled, to well how Siapan was settled.

Enjoy

Chuuk people are very smart. I know that for a fact. However, not many can volunteer to make a difference. Right? If the budget for an office was found to have missed the requirements, why couldn't someone who knew better did something to correct it? That could safe Chuuk a lot, or the whole nation, in other words, from getting all the negative allegations of not doing the right ways and so forth. When will we ever learn to forget the 'not mine, not for me' attitude and start to say, 'I will do it for your sake' manner?
  • Greetings Pilerehre,

The chimera of expending public funds for special personal interests is no longer non-existent and seemingly legal! The FSM Congress can appropriate their so-called Representation Funds as long as the public law, which legally authorizes such, is still alive and it has not been repealed in its entirety. Somebody has to challenge this law in the FSM Supreme Court to put an end to this stressful dishonest act by our FSM Congress!

The two million dollars is a lot of money that can be used for other urgent development projects that will pave the way for a vibrant economy for the nation. This is very critical for a prosperous FSM economic future. FSM has not achieved its goals and objectives in building the nation's economy as envisioned and vigorously planned and yet our FSM Congress is still playing with fire in spending the only very limited resources provided by the sweats of the unfortunate ones with low minimum wages. When are our leaders going to seriously learn about frugality---spending our limited resources wisely---by exercising their own ingenuity without advices from others? It seems that they want to be pampered most of the time, acting like kids with thick mustaches!

I come to believe that we the citizens of FSM are not lucky enough to have a bunch of ignorant, delusional, schizophrenic maniacs who never learn a bit of consciousness, except absorbing their own ill-fated plutocratic mentality and individualistic attitudes toward achieving their self-interest objectives of greeds and autocracy!

Let's hope for the best that they all die in vain and their souls be roamed in the coldest wilderness until the imaginary mouth-spouting fire dragon finds them.
  • Ran Allim MJ,

Thanks for your discerning comments which I have stored them in my "Kamwan Firoski". In facts, I do enjoy your differing views especially with substantiating arguments with local contacts.

Keep posting while sharing your puissant thoughts for us the islanders to learn and digest.

Kilisou ngonuk chapur!
  • Greetings Pilerehre,

The chimera of expending public funds for special personal interests is no longer non-existent and seemingly legal! The FSM Congress can appropriate their so-called Representation Funds as long as the public law, which legally authorizes such, is still alive and it has not been repealed in its entirety. Somebody has to challenge this law in the FSM Supreme Court to put an end to this stressful dishonest act by our FSM Congress!

The two million dollars is a lot of money that can be used for other urgent development projects that will pave the way for a vibrant economy for the nation. This is very critical for a prosperous FSM economic future. FSM has not achieved its goals and objectives in building the nation's economy as envisioned and vigorously planned and yet our FSM Congress is still playing with fire in spending the only very limited resources provided by the sweats of the unfortunate ones with low minimum wages. When are our leaders going to seriously learn about frugality---spending our limited resources wisely---by exercising their own ingenuity without advices from others? It seems that they want to be pampered most of the time, acting like kids with thick mustaches!

I come to believe that we the citizens of FSM are not lucky enough to have a bunch of ignorant, delusional, schizophrenic maniacs who never learn a bit of consciousness, except absorbing their own ill-fated plutocratic mentality and individualistic attitudes toward achieving their self-interest objectives of greeds and autocracy!

Let's hope for the best that they all die in vain and their souls be roamed in the coldest wilderness until the imaginary mouth-spouting fire dragon finds them.
  • Ran Allim MJ,

Thanks for sharing your discerning views on the subject especially from a non-Chuukese's perspectives, which I do enjoy much of it sincerely.

MJ, keep posting and let us learn and digest so that we can be more explorable.

Kilisou ngonuk chapur!
  • Thanks Hcb

Key to forum is to talk about ideas. Idea is to exchange ideas. What I say is based on what I observed and heard. This doesnt mean that what I heard and observed is always currect. Lets continue to contribute to ideas and all.

By the way I love to sometime talk to you in Person. When do you plan to come to Chuuk next time?

MJ
  • A lot of good issues being discussed here, and I will only comment on a couple of them.

1) Re: personnel as a portionate share of the Compact grants. This is a reasonable request. Can anyone truly argue that the gov'ts (particularly Chuuk and Kosrae) are grossly overstaffed and there needs to be a coordinated effort to RIF? NOt move these people to general fund or other US Federal Grant funds or ask for FSMNG subsidy, but terminate them. Why can't our Governors accept this reality instead of always evading the issue. The execution of the ADB reduction in force loan was a farce but the intent was good

2) I think there is a genuine desire of many State budget offices to present budgets that are project oriented but nobody knows how to exactly do this. There is a lack of capacity in this regard. If the OIA project managers were truly working in a teamwork mode with the FSM they would sponsor workshops in all the States on how to write and manage such project oriented budgets instead of just hopping around saying deparments were "non-performing" If anything, it was Tiffany Taylor who was non-performing (maybe why she is back in D.C). Most budgets still follow the mode taught by DOI officials under the TT and not changed under the first Compact...i.e. heavily oriented to operations and not CIP or discrete projects. So now we need to change but we will need coaching to do so. Compact Management Office needs to accept responsibility for this also. Instead of trying to contract with John Ehsa and the performance budget folks in Marshalls they should be spending the funds at the STate level to teach the new budget preparation techniques.

3) There is a big disconnect between the FSMNG and the STates when it comes to Compact budget issues. The FSMNG staffs are mostly paid from local revenues and don't really appreciate the agony the States go through from JEMCO actions. But they love to point fingers at the States and in many cases unjustly malign certain State actions and responses. Nevertheless, we make the fSMNG the point men in dealing with all OIA interactions. I don't see this issue getting resolved soon. I can think of personnel in any and all of the 4 FSM States who could more coherently address these issues than the CMO or Finance departments or jerk offs from FSM Congress. The FSMNG should be dealt with as one of 5, maybe the least important, instead of the way it is now. How can this be changed?
  • I can only address the 3 point in the prior post.

The OIA will likely never deal with the FSMNG as one of 5. The Compact is worded that the funding is given to the FSMNG and then National grants the funds to the States. Therefore, the US only has one contact point and only one party to hold responsible. This was a conscious shift from the original Compact to the newly amended Compact.
  • hcb

the passage of the bill appropriating over 2 million dollars was under the so called "pork barrel" project scheme. but you are correct in a way because that money is utilized at random and at the request of the constituents.
  • Pilerehre,

Merry X-Mas!

Let's just hope that there might be significant developments when the money finally finds its intended recipients to assist them in their individualistic endeavor.
  • hcb

The peace meal projects for individuals does not constitute a significant development becuase it is not within the public's interest per se. The funds appropriated is public money and should be earmarked for projects that the general public will all benefit from, not personal/constituency projects. That is not right and should not be practiced. After all we do not have that kind of money to play with in the fist place.
  • Pilerehre,

I totally agree with you.

What I really mean is generally referred to the individual island or municipality as the supposedly individual entity recipient of the fund for the benefit of all. Isn't this the "fake" intent of the so-called "Representation Fund" for each member?

Sorry for my bad.
  • If I am not mistaken, then what I got from Rananim News (reported by Pandi Suzuki) is that the Chuuk's fund is gonna be contributed to the businesses. Not going to the Chuuk's individuals.
  • PRAY AND WAIT FOR U.S TAXPAYERS...