Pohnpei State World Class Hotel

OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR
STATE OF POHNPEI
KOLONIA, POHNPEI FM 96941
TEL: (691) 320-2235/2204 FAX: (691) 320-2505
One Community, One Vision, One State
July 22, 2016

TERMS OF REFERENCE
For a Feasibility Study FIVE STAR ECO-LODGE RESORT POHNPEI, FEDERATED STATES OF MICRONESIA GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF REQUIREMENT and PROJECT BACKGROUND

The Pohnpei State Government (PSG) requests proposals from qualified service providers for a Feasibility Study for a proposed world-class, five star, up to 200 room eco-friendly resort hotel, with beach frontage, built to international standards, located on the island of Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). The objective of this resort hotel is to attract high end, international visitors that will come to Pohnpei mainly to enjoy the natural beauty of its many impressive waterfalls and explore the ancient ruins of Nan Madol, nominated for designation as a UN World Heritage Site. This resorts proposed location(s) can be Government or privately owned land with clear title, existing, and/or reclaimed. Environmental concerns, e.g. minimal disturbance to the islands unique resources and mangroves that surround Pohnpei are an important parts of this study. The resort will act as an “anchor enterprise”, stimulating additional international airline service, increased consumption of local food & beverages, increased taxi, sport fishing, surfing, dive, tour operator services, handicraft sales and increased bookings at the other hotels on the island asa result of its international marketing campaign. In particular, this resort will raise the total number of available hotel rooms in Pohnpei from 250 to approximately 450, thus positioning the
Pohnpei to attract small to medium international Pacific conferences. As such, this resort hotel will also contain a multi-purpose conference/meeting room/exhibition facility capable of accommodating up to 500 individuals. It will also have appropriate restaurants/bar as well as all other facilities typical of a five start facility. In particular, the resort will deploy state-of-the-art green energy and water supply technology, so as to serve as a model, as well as an additionaltourist attraction, for the Pacific hospitality sector.

As a generator of at least 50 direct jobs, the resort hotel complex will create an estimated another 250 indirect positions, in the local companies that provide services to the hotel and its clients. The total of new jobs will support, by a multiplier of 10 individuals per family, a total of 3000 citizens of Pohnpei, or almost 10 percent of the current population of the island.
This resort property will primarily serve, in short, as a magnet for the growing number of ecotourists in the 50 plus age demographic that have the time and financial resources to visit an ecologically attractive tropical island in the Pacific.

STUDY RESULTS
The study will deliver the following:
A verification of the relevance of the proposed project or program in addressing the existing challenge of attracting additional high-end tourists to Pohnpei;

A detailed assessment of the technical, economic and financial, institutional and managerial, and socio-cultural feasibility of the proposed project in addressing the identified objective;

A detailed identification and priority ranking of potential sites for location of said resort;

Report the results of consultations with owners of the land of potential sites, and with traditional and religious leaders in the immediate neighborhood(s);

Recommend the type of management model to be put in place;

A detailed plan for the project activities, including indicators for project objectives and results, design specifications, required resources, the institutional structure for implementation, stipulating the responsibilities of various bodies, project
timing/phasing, estimated costs and a logical framework planning matrix;

A detailed assessment of environmental/ecological issues and recommendations on how best to
so address them;

A detailed assessment of appropriate green energy and efficient water supply infrastructure applicable to such a resort;
Proposed engineering designs, technical specifications and tender documents for the proposed resort;

An assessment of the international high end tourism market, with particular reference to the Pacific, and the prospect for and the ways and means of, Pohnpei attracting a percentage of said market;

A draft Financing Proposal;
A detailed assessment of potential sustainability of the project results after completion;
Recommendation for the next steps and any further actions necessary to secure project financing and implementation;

ADDITIONAL ISSUES
The consultants will also verify and confirm their analysis presented with regard to:
The nature, number and type of beneficiaries and other stakeholders that the proposed project will potentially affect;
All organizations and agencies affected by or involved in the proposed project;
All major problems experienced by the supposed beneficiaries of the project and by any other parties likely to be involved, the causal interrelationships of these problems, and the intersectoral links;
Other interventions or priorities by any national organization or donor which may be affected by the proposed intervention;
Information from previous studies and evaluations relevant to the proposed project.

EXPERTISE REQUIRED
Feasibility Study proposals are accepted for consideration from International and/or Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) registered companies or International/FSM consortiums;

Each company or consortium submitting a proposal will address the Terms of Reference so stated in this public tender document;

Each company or consortium submitting a proposal will include a detailed statement of its previous and on-going experience in preparing feasibility studies for eco-friendly, high end resort properties in island nations;

For each expert proposed, curriculum vitae, of no more than FIVE pages, should be submitted, as part of all proposals.

REPORTS and TIMELINE
It is envisioned that this study will take no more than 60 days (including all travel time) to complete from date of signature of award documents. The consultants will prepare a Work Plan with a detailed Timeline addressing the schedule of study implementation activities is required of all proposals for the study;

The consultants will provide a briefing report (10-15 pages) within 21 days after signature of the contract, a draft report at the conclusion of 45 days for comment and the final version of the feasibility study within 15 days thereafter. The Final Report should total no more than 50 pages, excluding appendices.
ASSITANCE TO THE CONSULTANTS BY THE CONTRACTING AUTHORITY, POHNPEI
STATE GOVERNMENT (PSG)

This is quite a dream. You also cannot find any beach frontal locations in Pohnpei unless you want to situate this dream hotel on Ant Atoll.

For whatever it's worth, GOOD LUCK, POHNPEI.

Comments

• This hotel should be already here. Protectionist senators pretending to concerned about the people is why it's not ready to take full advantage of World Heritage listing. A perfect example of reacting leadership rather than forward thinking.
  • No way you can protect the marine environment as you build/construct this resorts within the beachfront areas. You will have to damage and then rebuild the waterfront with additional measures to improve the area to regain its natural habitat. But in the long run it will still be impacted as the resort occupants start stomping the environment during and at the resort's prospering stage.

Good Luck Governor Peterson and Pei Sarawi!
  • Sometimes we have to give up something in order to gain other things. Balancing beauty and prosperity is what we need here.
  • When people talk eco-type hotel establishments, I picture cottages and other parts of the resort blending in the environment without causing damage or maybe at the very minimum damage to the location.

• yes,yes good thinking...
  • edited July 2016
    True kinen.
  • I heard a while ago that the Japanese were ready to build the hotel but part of the deal was the feasibility study that had to be done by Pohnpei state. I guess this is the one reason it is being done. I guess...
  • My question is who is going to own the hotel; the State Government or private citizen? If the government will own the hotel, then, it is not good for the private sector. This means the government will be competing with the private citizens which will result in unfair competition. If it is going to be owned by a private citizen, I suppose will be the Nanpei family, since it owns the island (Ant), is the government helping the family to fund the hotel? That will be unfair to the other Pohnpeian business people who are currently in the hotel business.
  • Oh no. Another shelter dwelling for the rest of the people of Parem who have squatted all over the public market area. Iso Nett might be given a suite room at the very top floor.
  • edited July 2016
    ahah
  • ahahahha@Led Zeppelin...i'm sure they will..lol
  • Eco Lodge. I guess they are looking at the name cause it's cool and thinking that taking people on tours to nice natural locations will do it. There is a whole world for the word "Eco Resort" no one in PNI government has ever read or heard.
    Housekeeping uses non-toxic cleaning agents and laundry detergent
    100% organic cotton sheets, towels and mattresses
    Non-smoking environment
    Renewable energy sources like solar or wind energy
    Bulk organic soap and amenities instead of individual packages to reduce waste
    Guest room and hotel lobby recycling bins
    Towel and sheet re-use (guests can tell housekeeping to leave these slightly used items to reduce water consumption)
    Energy-efficient lighting
    On-site transportation with green vehicles
    Serve organic and local-grown food
    Non-disposable dishes
    Offers a fresh-air exchange system
    Grey-water recycling, which is the reuse of kitchen, bath and laundry water for garden and landscaping
    Newspaper recycling program
    Dependence on the natural environment
    Ecological sustainability
    Proven contribution to conservation
    Provision of environmental training programs
    Incorporation of cultural considerations
    Provision of an economic return to the local community

Any comments? Better just say building a hotel.
  • Is this there any spot on the island being ideal for this hotel to be established? I have over 90 thousand hectar over looking hill toward the open sea. What do you think folks. lol!
  • Pohnpei is an ideal location, size and climate for a resort, whether eco style or a five star hotel, world class. Its got the land mass. Individual lots of massive sizes are mostly solely owned which makes it easier a deal.

I'd highly recommend moving this idea forward. It will positively impact Pohnpeis economy.
  • The Nett area going to Nett point has some potential location for such plan..
  • edited July 2016
    Aia inou me dene miehier Japanese company ieu pahn wiahda 200 plus room me kepina kasalehda nan ah campaign? Ahpw mwahu, I iang utung development project me duwehte met, However, these are the kind of actions that often confuse many, Right after we damage our environment through SC harvest, we will build a eco-friendly resort hotel? really????? I propose that we name the hotel Pohnpei Sei Matop Eco-friendly Hotel, it has that Asian allure to it.
  • Ehi dahme komw mahsanih en pwung. Eri, ahpw komw kak kasalehieng kiht kan me sohte nohn mwahngih mwahu ia me pahn keihu mwahu pei wet en douloale oh doula mesieng kauwada de padokedi me komwi kamehlele me pahn keiuhn konehng mehlel oh mwahusang kokoudahn hotel wet nan pwelen pei wet?
  • I am not against a development project of this nature, if it will help the economy. What concerns me is the nature in which we run our policies. The Ad places environmental emphasis on the project and yet, we are currently in court debating an issue that may have significant impact to our environment. We have not had a development project of this magnitude and it may be good for our economy. If this dream does materialize, it is certain that farmers and fishermen will benefit from it. So I am for it. However, the demand for consumption will certainly increase that is why I am boggled by the policy today that we risk the chance of damaging our reefs through the SC harvest. 10 years down the road, we may be importing reef fish from overseas if we do not take care of our own. It is all about us having a forward thinking mentality, certainly at the leadership where it counts more.
  • edited July 2016
    Further, if the Asians use SC for medicinal purposes, why not capitalize on it and bring the businesses here? Create a sustainable management plan and farm the SC first. The way I look at it is that the only way we can move our State/economy forward is that we put smart and honest people where it counts most. That is a job, we the voters, must do first.
  • yup ah me mih pahu chinatown oh??ihmwo??
  • Is this Pohnpei State World Class Hotel a new idea on the alter or just the reincarnation of the one that was intended in Lukop, Madolenihmw? I hope this time it's for real but not only a tactic to divert our attention from the SC dilemma...Good luck to our leaders on their development endeavors, Go Pohnpei!
  • yup...best of luck!!!!!
  • edited July 2016
    Nahnju,

Soh, mwo en Murphy Panuelo I believe. The one being proposed is intended for foreign investment. Oh pil kaidehn business me pilahnepe mie Lukup mahsohu me. Met wia plan en doadoahk ieu pahn Kepina kapw Peterson. If you read the advertisement carefully it, it is merely a proposal for feasablility study. Met wehwehki me aramas ekei en kohdo wia study ieu me pahn kakonepene ni pisetik plan en doadoahk ieu me ouramanepe mie, a 5 Star Hotel. What I envision the State doing is putting up some money for experts to conduct the study. Being that the requirement is a beachfront hotel, it narrows the sites to either And atoll or Misko Beach.
  • Well, might as well build a Mangrove Resort.
  • They will enjoy watching fruit bats no?
  • shit!!!!!!!for real..nice...
  • What should Pohnpei needs to do is one that Nahnihd has clearly shared. Our eco system needs to be preserved and stayed preserved. No. 2, a well and world class accommodation or hotel does rely on what would lure them to come and untilized it at their expense. Now, I ask is there any significant warrant that the hotel would help our economy while our current laws banned gambling, prostitution and etc? I know for sure that the only way to make this five star hotel to provide more jobs and flood money into our dying economy is to first seek and provide things that will surely stimulate the yearn for the tourist to come to our island and that is only one solution is "TOURISMS ATTRACTIONS". So, like Nahnihd said, we need to be careful on how we want to help our people or else they will suffer the consequences due by incompetent leaders or actors doing things today.
  • Just having a hotel isn't going to draw visitors. You can have the best facility in the World but unless the marketing is spot on who's going to hear or be made aware of it? The FSM as a whole is a gem in the eyes of many would be travellers, always has been. BUT take a look around and see just how much of it has been advertised or promoted with any level of consistency. I'd say none.

To successfully create a brand one needs to market, with imagery (we are a visually stimulated species) on a constant basis, one needs a database of promotional imagery that is constantly updated, acquired with the ever evolving leading edge technology in order to retain that qualitative lead on any competitors.

If you go online and look at the marketing efforts of official tourism agencies for places such as Fiji, Cook Islands, Tahiti, PNG and to an extent, Palau, then you'll see just how the FSM fails in being placed before the eyes of the Billions of potential visitors that are daily scanning social media platforms for potential places to visit.