Ramadan in MICRONESIA??? Yes Yes there are MUSLIMS in Micronesia!!!

Before the sun has risen in the Marshall
Islands members of the local Muslim community participating in Ramadan
have already finished their breakfast.

Marshallese Muslims at Ramadan prayers in Majuro.

Marshallese Muslims observing prayers during Ramadan. Photo: Imam Matiullah Joyia.

For
the 150 members of the Marshall Islands' Muslim community, this lunar
month is the most holy of the year - the month of Ramadan.

Ramadan commemorates the Prophet Mohammad receiving Islam's holy book, the Koran, from Allah, Islam's name for God.

The
dates for Ramadan follow the lunar calendar and therefore change every
year. In 2014, Marshallese Muslims fast between June 30 and July 28.

During
this month, followers of Islam abstain from food and drink, including
water, during daylight hours. This is approximately 5am to 7pm for
Marshall Islanders. 

Those fasting for Ramadan eat a meal, called sehri,
before the sun rises and will not eat or drink again until the sun
sets. After the sun has set, they break their fast with a meal called
iftar.

But it's not only food that believers abstain from.

"During
the day, apart from restraining from food and water, Muslims are
particularly exhorted from vain talk, quarrels and fights, or from any
such occupation as is below the dignity of a true believer," explains
Matiullah Joyia, the leader, called an
imam, at Majuro's mosque.

The philosophy behind abstaining is to develop spiritually, emotionally and personally.

"Among
other things, he [the person fasting] learns through personal
experience about what hunger, poverty, loneliness and discomforts mean
to the less fortunate sections of society," says Imam Joyia.

Marshallese Muslims at prayer

Members of the Marshall Islands' Muslim community pray during Ramadan. Photo: Imam Matiullah Joyia. 

The
Marshall Islands' Muslim community is from the Ahmadiyya movement,
which began in 1889 and believes that Allah sent the Messiah in the form
of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad to end religious wars and to restore peace.

In
the 1990s Fijian missionaries brought the Ahmadiyya movement to the
Marshall Islands and in 2001 it became an officially recognised religion
in the country. The community's first mosque was opened in 2012.

As
a minority religion in the Pacific, Imam Joyia says that when the
mosque was built, the locals were frightened at first but the situation
is getting better every day.

"The locals are realising there are Muslims who preach and practice Islam to be a peaceful and tolerant religion," he says.

For
the local Marshallese observing Ramadan in a tropical climate, Imam
Joyia says the key is to drink a lot of water in the morning before your
fast so you don't get dehydrated during the day.

"And also eat as much as possible. Not meaning to stuff yourself fully, instead to eat an adequate amount," he says.

During
this morning meal followers will pray "I intend to keep the fast for
tomorrow in the month of Ramadan" and in the evening, when they break
their fast, they say "O Allah! I fasted for You and I believe in You and
I put my trust in You and I break my fast with Your sustenance."

At the beginning of Ramadan, Muslims greet each other by saying Ramadan Mubarak.

"Ramadan Mubarak means Congratulations it's Ramadan. Basically, we say congrats because we are excited for this time and all the blessings it brings," says Imam Joyia.

Members of the Marshall Islands' Muslim community

Members of the Marshall Islands Muslim community. Photo: Imam Matiullah Joyia.

Comments

• "The locals are realising there are Muslims who preach and practice Islam to be a peaceful and tolerant religion," he says.

Wait until their numbers increase significantly. You will then see the true nature of the Islamic ideology.
  • Once they get the numbers they will want to rule with their Sharia Law.
  • Ghillisou OMGEEEH!! About the SHARIA LAWS!! Its just unhuman!!
  • But about the Marshallese who have made this religion theirs, do they learn Arabic instead of English?
  • You stupid marshallese! Now Muslim after the atomic test. either money or plain foolish...
  • look at the Arab worlds? Today, Islam and Muslims are fighting n killing each other.... i think Micronesians needs to banned this kind of religion.
  • See my previous post on this with examples and links of how Islam is now the biggest security threat throughout Europe.

http://www.micronesiaforum.org/index.php?p=/discussion/12287/tragedy-in-the-pacific#Item_10

Cheers.
  • freedom religion is one of the pillars of democracy marshall isle is a democracy and they practice democracy.
  • Sinner Islam is the name of the religion, the followers of Islam are called Muslims.

It has two main branch just like Catholics and Protestants only they are called Shiites and Sunnis.
  • ramadan mubarak!! Mash'allah didn't know there were 150 members now.. that's amazing.
  • Once they get the numbers they will want to rule with their Sharia Law.
    Yeah this is actually serious
    imageimageimage
  • would i want sharia law in my own country? No.!     
    why? because there are more non-muslims who are in the marshall islands. we are very few in numbers as of today, and even if we were in the thousands or the most in the islands, i still would Never enforce or wish to enforce anything of sharia in the country. 
    Prophet muhammad (pbuh) teaches that religion is never a matter of state, but a personal relationship with God. Prophet muhammad (pbuh) even as the de facto of Arabia , at the time, wrote (he couldn't write as he was illiterate, so he tells his literate companions to write stuffs down for him) a Charter of Medina in which Muslims were held to the sharia law and jews to their own laws of the Torah.
    What mosts fail to understand, muslims and non-muslims alike, is that the qur'an clearly stated "There is no Compulsion in Religion"(2:257)
  • I feel the same as Ghillisou. That is exactly what would happen in later years. When the Marshallese member increases one of the Marshallese member possibly can become members of any of the council and become powefull.
  • lol, it is called MONI to the rescue! =)
  • It doesn't matter what the 'moderate' muslims want. You say you are all about peace but that is because you are only 150 strong. Watch what happens when you are a few thousand and then arriving amongst you are those who seek a stricter form of Islam. Are you going to denounce an Islamic brother and stand against his rhetoric or will you tolerate him simply saying "Oh, he means nothing and it's not what all Muslims want"? As that is the excuses we hear everyday in Europe. Watch the attitudes of these moderates change when they watch news about Israels bombing campaigns into Gaza and you'll soon see the true nature of these animals.
  • It look like the rmi is more tolerant and more free then fsm.
  • Sunnis and shiites kill each other! If yhu guys try and start another branch what makes yhu guys think yhu guys will become so different? Even during their own pilgrimage to mecca is a danger to all who call themselfs Muslims because everybody kill everybody!!
  • Folu,
    You seem to have mistaken Marshallese with Chuukese. There are ba'ais, buddists,indus,confusists,Mormons,protestants,Catholics,7 Days,salvation army ,athiest in the Marshalls and that has npt been a problem or has their has been any so what's wrong with marshallese allowing islam to our islands ? The marshall islands constitution guarantees that freedom and democracies everywhere do. Islam won't be the main religion cause its the exact opposite of marshallese culture. We have no problem with it. now if islam was to come to fsm thats when you start sweating bullets and shit bricks. If islam was to make landfall in chuuk that is when you start worrying. Chuukese kill each others for stupid stuffs like when they drunk or what clan he from or what color he claim. You guys stab each other for no reason but if islam comes there thats when you guys really kill each others for stupid things. Worry when it comes 2 YOUR ISLANDS IN FSM.
  • i wonder which is more harmful: the nuclear bomb or suicide bombs.

i wonder which is more helpful: the compact grants or the 72 virgins with pear-shaped breasts.
  • which is more helpful: the compact grants or the 72 virgins with pear-shaped breasts.

I suggest we compromise:  72 virgins wearing compact bikinis.
  • Oh WhoamI!! Is that how yhu Marshallese react? Did yhu read everything that i posted? Its a damn warning i stated for yhu Marshallese!! I did not say marshallese this and Marshallese that!! Wtf is wrong with yolls brain?!?!? Yhu guys seem to always start bluffs in here!! But i bet in real life yhu guys kiss ass and suck cocks right? Damn yhu Marshallese are real full of it!! I swear! Yhu guys always talk shiit but cant do shit!! Right? Yeah, thats what yhu Marshallese are!!
  • Freedom to choose ones religion is one of our god given rights. May it be Jesus,Buddah or Allah its you're choice and no one else's. That's what democracy is all about. To except one and deny the rest is undemocratic, the RMI is a democracy not a hypocracy! You are a racist, islam is not a race its a religion! To think all Muslims are terrorists is racist same like thinking that all chuukese are drunks or all chuukese are cockroaches and all they do is leach off others. I know that not ALL chuukese are like that, only few are. Same like not All Muslims are suicide vest wearing demons we are let to believe.

Dude do something constructive like pray to which god you preferr to help Chuuks team in the 8th mic games cause they are sucking a$$ and knee deep in €ocks right now. Even single island Nauru is a rank higher then chuuk in the games. You guys were bragging of how your team was gonna dominate but it look like that was a BLUFF.
  • Praise Allah!! Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose. Chuuk has Won the losing part. hahahaha....No Worries, my friends. The God of all Man and the Universe is still with us.

May His Spirit fill your hearts and displace hate in your souls
  • edited July 2014
    @WhoamI we have that same mix of religions in the UK, all for the most part tolerant of each other. The only exception to that are the Muslims. All you have to do is Google to see how Islam is dividing the UK. No other religion present in the UK has:
    • Spat on funeral processions for fallen soldiers
    • Desecrated World War II Statues saluting the fallen.
    • Marched through major cities demanding the beheadings of non-believers
    • Mutilated and decapitated soldiers on leave on London Streets
    • Demanded the changing of so many laws to suit their religious needs
    • Groomed school girls for use as sex objects and passed around at meetings like a lump of meat
    • Engaged in FGM rendering their women folk to 2nd class status
    • Engaged in 'Honor Killings' of their own children to save face in their own social circles

Do you need more? The list is a long one.

Good luck with setting up your own sect within Islam, I'm sure the Wahabi, Alawite and Sunni warlords will have fun with that.

PS: Your grasp of what is a racist needs an upgrade. Islam is an ideology, not a race. How can someone ripping into it be racist? Humans, now there's a race, as in the human race. Black, White, Red, Yellow and Brown are all Ethnic variations within the same species, Homo sapien. people pull the racist card without fully understanding the complete oxymoron that is the term 'Racist'. The only people who qualify to be racist are the misanthropes of the World.
  • Folu and Sinbad both of you are out of touch. Islam has been in rmi or fsm for years infact for more then a decade. Baha'is or Bahai which is found in rmi and fsm is a offshoot of islam. How ignorant can you 2 B?
  • @WhoamI we have that same mix of religions in the UK, all for the most part tolerant of each other. The only exception to that are the Muslims. All you have to do is Google to see how Islam is dividing the UK. No other religion present in the UK has:
    • Spat on funeral processions for fallen soldiers
    • Desecrated World War II Statues saluting the fallen.
    • Marched through major cities demanding the beheadings of non-believers
    • Mutilated and decapitated soldiers on leave on London Streets
    • Demanded the changing of so many laws to suit their religious needs
    • Groomed school girls for use as sex objects and passed around at meetings like a lump of meat
    • Engaged in FGM rendering their women folk to 2nd class status
    • Engaged in 'Honor Killings' of their own children to save face in their own social circles

Do you need more? The list is a long one.

Good luck with setting up your own sect within Islam, I'm sure the Wahabi, Alawite and Sunni warlords will have fun with that.

PS: Your grasp of what is a racist needs an upgrade. Islam is an ideology, not a race. How can someone ripping into it be racist? Humans, now there's a race, as in the human race. Black, White, Red, Yellow and Brown are all Ethnic variations within the same species, Homo sapien. people pull the racist card without fully understanding the complete oxymoron that is the term 'Racist'. The only people who qualify to be racist are the misanthropes of the World.
  • Bahai is a combination of Christian, Islam nd I believe even Hindu so yhu cant say what religion it started from.

And like the Chuukese saying goes. Yhu are #1 here on earth but not in heaven! Lol
  • Seawild your a idiot. America a christian nation has been in the business of killing Muslims for more then 10 years. Ever heard of the Killing squads in Afghanistan? What about a christian company called blackwater international who were shooting people for fun. Or what about the westboro Baptists church members who spat on the graves of dead american soldier's . Christian countries have been killing Muslims since the 1300s. Crusade wars they were called. We christians go to their lands and kill them and for what their oil. America and britian send money to the FSA which is considered a terrorist group to fight the Syrian government. America and uk help one another kill Muslims.