Alcoholics Anonymous in Palau

edited July 2007 in General
I would like to report that there is now an active Alcoholics Anonymous Group meeting in Palau at the Ngerbeched Catholic Church. It is an open meeting and everyone, alcoholics and non-alcoholics seeking information on alcoholism and recovery from it, are welcome. We would also like to hear from others in Micronesia who are interested in AA, since it would be nice to know if there are other groups meeting in the region. Also if there is interest in starting other groups, we may be able to offer some help in how to get started. Thanks.

The AA preamble describes AA as follows:

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

For more information on AA visit http://aa.org/

Comments

• OOPS, I FORGOT TO MENTION THE TIME OF THE AA MEETINGS AT NGERBECHED CATHOLIC CHURCH
    MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY AT 7:00 PM
    THANKS, SORRY FOR THE OVERSIGHT
  • Alii,

I am coming home for a few days to visit and am so glad to see this post. Let me know if I can be of service.

Masulang,

Grateful recovering alcoholic.
  • Tiang A Kmal Ungil Tekoi Elmo Ruul Erngii.  Ng Dirrek El Kmal Ungil Al Meketmokl E Leng Uchul A Telemellel A Chelebechiil Ma Delengchokl El Kired A Rechad Era Belau./

Thanks for sharing and keep the good work.   =D>
  • I am wondering is this meeting still being held?
  • This is good for the Palauans. I hope the Yapese will soon start something like this. It has been a problem for years and I'm happy to hear that the Palauans are able to start a session that allows our people to get better. I hope the Yapese will one day realize that they are ALCOHOLICS!!...lol. I'll check back with you when I move back to Yap and hope to work with you to start one on my home island. Yapese have too much "pride" to consider this fact. I swear if I was to tell someone that he/she is an alcoholic....it could probably cost my life, but I really like this concept/process.
  • edited July 2014
    yapese?somehow most yapese girls drink based on my observation and horny too!
  • :( Sad to report but no meeting was taking place, I went several nights that it was scheduled to be held but no meeting.

I was given a name to call but that would mean it wasn't anonymous. Island style grapevine. I should have pursued it so I could report back. I did meet another AA member by chance at the hotel I was staying at so that was kind of cool. Higher Power made a way.
    :)
  • "I was given a name to call but that would mean it wasn't anonymous." true ahah
    imageimageimage
  • I am coming from California to Koror in March. Can I find a meeting? If there is no regular meeting, is there an AA who would like to have a meeting with me? I have long-time recovery. -Stewart Deats
  • Stew, on your way to palau stop by in yap all of those at the airport terminal are alcoholics and you can have a meeting with them right there at the terminal.