lead primarily by their example. The most effective form of leadership is born
out of the sincere desire and proven ability to make a positive
contribution.

Those who lead best are those for whom leadership itself is
not the primary aim. Those who lead best are those who can inspire others to
embrace the positive values and priorities by which they themselves
live.

True leadership comes not from position but from participation and
effectiveness. Those who are willing and able to get things done are best suited
to lead. To be a leader, be a shining example. Do that which you would lead
others to do, and do it spectacularly. Leadership at its best enlarges and
duplicates the efforts of the leader. Make those efforts the best they can be,
and they'll result in true, effective leadership. :D

Comments

• Defination of a good leader may vary from one environment to another! Leaders are born ~ not made. In general, a good leader must be empathic, a visionary, flexible/"expandable", must be able to inspire not only prespire! And etc, but most importantly, he or she must must not only be able to see with the eyes, but also the heart & definately to believe in something higher than him/her, we believers calls it God!

A true leader must be able to leader does not decieve but accept his success and failures with the same grace...
  • edited December 2012
    Follow the footsteps of the likes of R. Moses by doing things sincerely for your people. Never abuse the trust of Office for your personal gain. Keep an eye on the works of this new Congressman D. Panuelo. He will be remembered as a great leader if he decides to dedicate his life to serving the people.
  • Hitler was a genius and charismatic leader. His demeanor, leadership qualities, and ability to sway millions, made him the leader he was.
  • Yakumo, you misunderstood the question.
  • to be strong and courages, like Joshua...
  • Excuse me? Did I really? Enlighten me. Question was: What it takes to be a good leader. My friend, I think I executed just as it was asked. What it takes to be a GOOD leader? Are we going to define good? Good in the sense of how you want to label it, or how a leader was able to effectively inspire? how a leader was able to moblize millions toward a common goal? Please do enlighten me.
  • There are good leaders and bad leader. There are also great leaders, but there are also some terrible leaders. Hitler was a terrible leader. Reagan was a great leader and so was Clinton. Obama is a good leader and Bush was a bad leader. Hope this helps.
  • Nahnid,

You are specifying names of people, who are, in your personal opinion, good. Not to others, only a few people on this forum know who these fine gentlemen were/are. What makes them good should be what you discuss. I think you are the one who "misunderstood the question."

You see, the two fine gentlemen represent(ed) a selected small number of people and were(are) not leading them.

Whereas in Yakumo's case, he may have been specific too, but he did discuss the quality of the leadership Hitler had. To the people he led, he was good. 
  • edited December 2012
    lol, ok fine, you want me to define good? Let's treat it as an adjective as it is. synonyms of good are nice, virtuous, moral, kind, etc. Does this help? I concede to your higher intelligence...Read carefully what i posted above because it is set out in a form of my theory of a good leader. 
  • I think this is a question that pivots on the issue of morality so Hitler is not a good leader.
  • seems that all of us in here cannot predict a Good Leader, in my own aspect, a good leader is a father, grandfather, uncle, brother, son, best-friend, boyfriend, and etc. not to mention, it can be vise-versa, a woman's roles, too...these are the easiest ways to define a good leader, you don't need a dictionary, thesaurus, or google search to find these easy words.
  • A good person will be definitely a good leader. 
  •  very intresting... a leader is someones who serves the followers. like obama
  • First and formost, the thread is NOT a question but a statement with a question mark. But I will take a crack at it anyway. The simplest thing that makes a good leader is YOU. Without YOU there won't be even a bad leader. Now, a good leader shouldn't lead, how would he know if his constituents would follow? A good leader shouldn't follow, how would he know if his constituents would lead him? A good leader should be a participant. Be with his constituents so the whole assembly can work together for ideas,plans, actions, etc, to benefit one and all.
  • I don't know about Obama. A good leader is the one that said something and do it but not said it and not do it.
  • edited December 2012
    Being able to love your people dearly, and walk along with them at any circumstances. In times of trouble, happiness stand along with them with your whole heart as someone who have good vision with pure heart and mind for better future.

Thank you all for the great insight you shared as well. 
  • A great leader is one whom when he/she occupies an office still gives meticulous attention to all that look up to him. Clinton is a great example. He gave an oval tour to an intern. He's my hero.
  • Yeah he is your hero but he is not the one who first to approve the compact of free association, right? Without the compact you cannot have the opportunity to come to the US and seek for good opportunity. I would said first of all Baily Olter is my best and always will be my very best leader. Without him you guys that live in the US today would be stock on you islands and never can get to the US, right?
  • Pekalong, read between the lines on Ninsei's post. lol

I am destined to be a good leader if Ninsei's description is accurate.

• Neither Baily Olter nor any of the Micronesian leaders made it possible for a free passage into the U.S. We ain't got no peanuts over the U.S. government. It (THE U.S) made it possible for our monkey rears to be on their soil and devouring up their various social initiatives.  In retrospect Clinton did his intern. That is beyond heroism. That's SUPER heroism.

• See Rohpehr got it! That man is endowed with knowledge and wisdom.

• My friend "kinen", please do not try to execute the question just because you want to make your point. The question is just synonimous to What does it take...? Look at the "What", that describes the whole thing..follow by the word, "Takes". You insert the word takes in replacement of the word 'Does". Hope the clarity of your mind will go along it :-c
  • My friend "Yakumo", is your name come from the word, "Yakucha"? lol..I joke, but to be realistic, how can the dictator Mr. Hitler ba good leader when he killed millions of the Jewish people? I doubt it in my opinion:(
  • Yakumo is correct. Hitler is one of the best orators of our time. Using emotion to connect with people. The purpose by which he used this gift is one I absolutely detest. Nevertheless it doesn't change the fact that he is one of the most effective leaders in our modern history. In a diabolic way of course.
  • A GOOD LEADER BUT NOT EFFECTIVE THAT SIMPLE. THANKS ALL FOR SHARING WHAT HAS BEEN TRANSLATED INTO YOUR BRAIN. IN FACT, IT IS GREAT TO READ MINDS IN THIS FOROM SOME WITH DOWN TO EARTH KNOWLEDGE. WONDER WHY I DID NOT USE WISDOM? BECAUSE IN ORDER ONE  TO ACHIEVE AND POSSESS WISDOM, HE OR SHE MUST FEAR GOD BECAUSE IT IS THE BEGINING OF WISDOM. THERE IS NO BACK DOOR ENTRY BUT ONLY ONE WAY IN AND THAT IS TO PUT HIM FIRST. CHEERS!
  • edited December 2012
    Its easy to be a good leader, all one has to do is meet minimum expectations. Listen to your constituents, take partners on decision making, be accountable, and have integrity. What we need are great and/or exceptional leaders who can exceed expectations by willing to make risky and. sometimes very unpopular decisions in the name the greater good of our country and/ or our people. These are leaders who model expectations n posses outstanding skills in relating well to others. In addition, these are leaders who can be resilient and adaptable under any cicumstances. These are leaders who are global n pro active in their approach to whatever roles they play. These are leaders whose work ethics are outstanding n beyond reproach, and whose integrity is never in doubt. Where are these leaders in FSM?
  • John Maxwell has written a great deal about leadership.  I like his 21 principal laws of leadership that can be found at: 

http://perspective.org.au/book/202/executive-summary-the-21-irrefutable-laws-of-leadership----john-maxwell

Three quotes that popped out for me were:

1. Only secure leaders give power to others. Mark Twain said, “Great things
    can happen when you don’t care who gets the credit.” (p127). Another
    point to ponder… “Great leaders gain authority by giving it away.”

2. “He who thinks he leads , but has no followers, is only taking a walk.”

3. A leader must give up to go up. Successful leaders must maintain an
    attitude of sacrifice to turn around an organisation. One sacrifice
    seldom brings success. As he worked to turn around the Chrysler
    Corporation, Lee Iacocca slashed his own salary to $1 per year.”When you
    beome a leader, you lose the right to think about yourself.”

Good stuff on leadership from John Maxwell.  When I was a position of leadership (by position) I read everything I could on leadership.  Maxwell's books were some of the best.  I think every leader should read them along with "Lincoln on Leadership" by John T. Phillips.

• Great points there Saka and Bill. Agree with everything you wise men just stated. Any leaders in the FSM possess these qualities?
  • Think not and hope there is Mr. Rohpehr..not in my state in particular..lol, I mean, there must be someone but hopefully all surroundings are up to date. :-c