Communion And The Wine

Comments

• Reader Question: Why Do Catholics Receive Only the Host?

By Scott P. Richert, About.com GuideApril 11, 2008

A reader writes:
    Why do Catholics only receive the host and not the wine during Holy Communion? I watch Mass on television and never see Catholics receive anything but the host.
    During Pope Benedict's visit to the United States next week, as many as 100,000 Catholics will receive Communion during the televised Masses at Washington Nationals Stadium on Thursday and Yankee Stadium on Sunday. And the reader is right: If you watch those Masses, you'll see all of those Catholics receiving only the consecrated Host--the Body of Christ.

The Church teaches that, at the consecration, when the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Christ, Christ is present "body and blood, soul and divinity" in both species. As the Catechism of the Catholic Church notes:

Since Christ is sacramentally present under each of the species, communion under the species of bread alone makes it possible to receive all the fruit of Eucharistic grace. For pastoral reasons this manner of receiving communion has been legitimately established as the most common form in the Latin rite.

The "pastoral reasons" referred to here are both the ease of distribution of Communion, particularly to large congregations, and the protection of the Precious Blood from profanation. Hosts may be dropped, but they are easily recovered; the consecrated wine, however, is more easily spilled and cannot easily be recovered.

The Catechism goes on to note:

But "the sign of communion is more complete when given under both kinds, since in that form the sign of the Eucharistic meal appears more clearly." This is the usual form of receiving communion in the Eastern rites.

In the Eastern rites of the Catholic Church (as well as in Eastern Orthodoxy), the Body of Christ is immersed in the Blood, and both are served to the faithful on a golden spoon. This minimizes the danger of spilling the Precious Blood (which is largely absorbed into the Body). Since Vatican II, a similar practice has been revived in the West: intinction, in which the Host is dipped in the Chalice before being given to the communicant. And in the United States, Communion under both species (in which the communicant receives the Host and then drinks from the Chalice) is allowed for pastoral reasons, and some churches do take advantage of that concession.

• MR. HIDDEN, I think none of us will come up with the solution to your question due to the fact that we are not priest or the higher members of the Catholic Church. Nonetheless, I think the only way to find out is for you to ask the priests. We want to work on the main topic since we have not yet come up with the answer. Please referenced to the main topic. Thanks:)

• edited December 2012

Hidden,

The Catholic Church can afford to buy all the wine in the world for one to drink. We all know that don't we?

In ancient times the boats could not carry enough wine for communion purposes as the boats were too small to transport enough wine to be served. By the authority given the Church by Jesus (Matt 16:19), the Church has decided that serving the consecrated bread alone to people is enough as Jesus is equally present in both the consecrated bread and wine. Receiving one is just as good as receiving both.

Hutcoffee,

Communion is an intimate encounter with Christ in which we sacramentally receive Christ into our bodies, that we may be more completely assimilated into his. One has to be in a state of grace in order to receive Communion.

Catholics are mandated by the Chuch to receive Communion only once a year during the Easter season, but because of Jesus' teaching on receiving the Eucharist found in John 6:53–58, the Church encourages Catholics to receive frequent Communion, even daily Communion if possible.

• Hidden, where in the bible that tells you if there is not enough wine than communion only would be fine. You see I don't think that only communion would be fine cause it never once said in the bible. To answer your concerned about money to effort the communion? I wound say that God was asking one tenth of your income so it will help build up his kingdom here on earth. So if you and your fellow members of your church would have apply this? It would be very helpful to your concern that you are now having problems with. Believe it or not that if all the members of your church would have apply what Mal. 3:8 said, there will be no problem in providing wine for your sacrament services. That is why God is asking only one tenth from you. He also promise that if you obeyed his request and pay your tithes in full, he will open the windows of heaven and pour out blessings to you that you many not have enough rooms to store those blessings. 

I believe that its just an excuse saying that the church doesn't have enough money. We as members of our churches were the ones who will help our churches build up Gods kingdom here on earth and paying your tithes in full is the most needed aspect. "PAYING TITHES IN FULL, THAT'S ALL THERE IS TO IT."
  • edited December 2012

Pekalong,

When the Manna fell in the dessert, no wine came down with it. Followers of Christ can not be denied Communion just because there is not enough wine to be served.

One's desire to drink the consecrated wine so he/she can be alive spiritually is enough as it expresses a relationship between that person and God. This type of longing helps one to grow spritually through a divine power that is not understood by man. Look up rule of desire by two objects.

It is not possible for you to be longing for God if God is not longing for you.

• Ks, sorry but could you please what longing means and how does it works for a christian? Also, is there any specific kind of wine that used in communion? 
  • Hey team,

Shall we referenced to the main topic? Why do people eat the bread and drink the wine? I have not gotten any solution to that question as of yet..8-[

• because the bread and wine cannot eat nor drink the people...is that answer your question Hutcoffee...cuz, i don't even understand what is your question is about. are we talking about churches, traditions, or whatnot? please elaborate your questions...
  • LADKIDURDZ,

Perhaps, you are new to this ankle however, please referenced to the main topic > "Why do people take communion and the wine?" Can you answer that? hehehe..good luck:-)

• lol@new, ok, we eat the bread in order to remember him and then we drink the wine to remember all the pain he went through...need more? choose one of the 70 postings in here and use as a source or whatever you are trying to write about..i believe that the answer lies beneath you Hut...
  • Your're getting particular here Hutcoffee. 1) for spiritual nurishment. Like we eat (mar) apot and episuk (tail) for physical nurishment. 2) for brethren fellowship as encouraged by scripture. Like going to the Ut to talk and chat with our brothers. Ika kese menemen, iwe upue ne chok fangeta non asopwisek. komol
  • Komol tata, Kinen. 
  • TEAM,

Let me just stete it as what has been taught in my opinion...I have agreed with KS of what he mentioned as well..and the whole thing is the book of John 6:53-58. "BUT THOSE WHO EAT MY FLESH AND DRINK MY BLOOD, HAVE ETHERNAL LIFE, AND I WILL RAISE THEM AT THE LAST DAY". AMEN?? Plain and Simple.

• Ekkewe ra mongo futukei, o unumi chai, a nom rer ewe manaw ese mwuch, o upwe pwan amanawareta non ewe ranin sopwonon. Ika met friendo > KINEN? :-c
  • A ina ko Hutcoffee. Metoch meinisin mi chok anongotang non ewe tongen God.
  • Ken joij jera Faith.
  • Pwata ka pwan ara anangotang oo fwendo kine..lol :-w
  • Amen.

Pek,

Any specific type of wine? Yes. Only Sacramental wine is used. That's pure organic (kosher) grape wine.

• Understanding the question could result in better discussions. Presented like, "What is the significance of taking bread and wine during the Lord's Supper (communion service). Or, "What is the spiritual meaning of the bread and the wine in the Lord's Supper?"  Certainly, many people, Christians and non-Christians, like to eat bread and drink wine on any given day, for different reasons.

Believers in Jesus Christ as the Savior equate them with His atoning sacrifice for sins. Bible texts support this truth. Red = Jesus' words.

Jesus Celebrates Passover with His Disciples

Mark Chap. 14

12 Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread, when they killed the Passover lamb, His disciples said to Him, “Where do You want us to go and prepare, that You may eat the Passover?” 

Jesus Institutes the Lord’s Supper

Matthew Chap. 26:

26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”

27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying,“Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

(Similar language in Mark Chap. 14:22-24)

1 Corinthians Chap. 11:

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread;24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, “Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.” 25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

Discussion: Jesus said the words and took the actions described in the Bible verses listed above during the Passover Feast. Now the Lord instructed Moses and Aaron in the institution of the Passover. The Israelites had to kill a lamb for each family, paint its blood on the door posts of their houses, roast its flesh and eat it in readiness to depart in haste. Remember, those who did not paint the blood on their doorposts lost their firstborn male to the angel of death as did the Egyptians. (Exodus Chap 12) The lamb represented Jesus. The blood on the doorposts represented Jesus blood which covers and cleanses us from our sins. The flesh represented Jesus body which was broken for us.

The Lord's Supper- Thursday night in the New Testament replaces the Passover Feast because the real sacrificial lamb Jesus would be killed the next day, Friday afternoon.

Christ's blood(wine) and body(bread) are important and are inseparable. The Passover pointed back to the deliverance of the Israelites from the Egyptians. Jesus blood atones for our sins and delivers us from the power of Satan, promising eternal life with God.

God bless. 

• I apologize for not providing the texts to the verses and the not so thorough discussion due to space limitation.

I hope you find my contribution meaningful. God bless you all.
  • edited December 2012
    Oh okay, I understand now Ks and thank you.
  • Thank you my friend, TruthisThat for sharing your opinion :-w
  • Because catholics like to create a tantasy of what isn't there. They like play-pretend and make-beliefs. Why else do you think they focus on that ritual more so than anything else? Because they like getting drunk. Priests drink the wine so much they have become drunks and molesters.

• Be patient Yakumo, there is nothing to be so aggressive of. Only God that can tell anyone that they're either wrong or right, yeah?
  • Yakumo what is "tantasy", please? Or do you mean fantasy?
  • tantasy means light-skin or making your fantasy tan come true. even the google search cannot define it. Yakumo, you see, every word you type that has a red mark under it means it's misspell...lmao
  • exactly hutcoffee, why do people do take communion and wine??

communion is the body, wine is the blood... i would ask the same question as you did, because i don't know the answer too.

• Oh, I thought everyone has familiarized with this thread but yet confusion is still in effect with some of us? 
  • My friend > iguess, sorry if the question and the answers are still not working properly with your intelligence. In my opinion, I would say that the answer is about having the ethernal life if you take communion and the wine. Beyond that, you would probably be saved and raised at the end of time. Would this be answering your question? ;)