FSMers with Law degrees

edited August 2011 in General
Hello everyone. I am doing a research and I was just wondering if anyone can provide me with the information that I need. I am trying to find out how many citizens of the FSM have earned a professional degree in law (JD/LLB/LLM). The names are not required but they can be helpful info. Also if you know the names of the law schools they went to. Thank you for cooperating and contributing.

Loyalty

Comments

• What is the purpose of your need in getting people's information regarding what law school they went to? there is a proper way of getting such information than getting it through Micsem. Such info your acquiring from Micsem are not reliable one, therefore, first thing to do is to get the name of the people/students from a reliable source then go from there. Keep in mind, Most law schools have rules/protocol on how they give info out, especially infomation such as this your inquiring. Many years ago, Micsem did a research on all the FSM best high school students, and now we don't even know what happened to the info they collected, however, i am curious as to why your collecting such info without a complete detail of why your doing this, and for what purpose. As John Stossel would say "Give me a Break."!

Your best bet is to visit the law school in Fiji and ask them how many FSM students has graduated from their school then go from there. We all know that Wesley Simina, Jack Frits, Sabino Asor are Chuukese lawyers from Chuuk. Two of them are Manoa Law school grad; while Sabino is a product of South Pacific. for the best outcome of your research on the three gentlements mention above is to get their bar numbers and then go from there. I know there is a Pohnpeian girl who graduated from Gonzaga University Law school, thus, she is now practicing law in Pohnpei, though, I'm not sure what law degree her law in. However, I am almost certain that Sabino's law degree must be in Constitutional law judging from they way he writes plus he seems to know more about the rights of individual as well as the FSM constitution. that's all I have to tell you ma'am.
  • contact the FSM Bar at FSM Supreme Court
    FSM Supreme Court - Pohnpei; P.O. Box PS-J; Pohnpei FM 96941 (691) 320-2357/2763/2764 or by FAX at (691) 320-2756
  • Thank you for the info, I am just trying to get the numbers of fsmers with law degrees, nothing more. All the other additional info are not as important although that would be nice to know. I do not intent to use this number for anything other than statistics and no personal info what so ever. My apologies for sounding intrusive. Also, I will contact the fsm bar passage but I'm trying to get the # of not only those working in the fsm.

Loyalty
  • Loyalty,

please, when you're done with your research, please, please, return here and share the result of your search with everyone on this forum....its good to know where our good lawyers studied.
  • tropic2,

you write so good except that you keep saying "your" instead of "you're".
  • edited August 2011
    Few that I know of Loyalty.

From USA law schools- Jack Fritz and Wesley Simina (Hawaii), Kembo Jr. (Michigan), Sabino (California- Jefferson), Danny Jr, Rescue (somewhere in USA), Maketo Robert (disbarred but still at AG), Joey Sapelelut (Virginia), Clement Mulalap (California), Clement Jr. ( some where in USA), Buealeen (Washington State), Chief Justice of FSM (I think Virginia)...

England- Marstella Jack

University of the South Pacific (Vanuatu Campus) - Johnson Asher, Lori Asher, Alik (now at Congress), Mr. George (FSM AG's Office).

Soon to finish- Mason Albert,...

Trial Counselor who passed the bar- Benjamin Rodriguez, Wally Hadley, Masey David,

There are more but that is just a start.
  • lady, no matter how pretty, intelligent and sexy you think you are; you're just like a bus. If I miss you, another will be along shortly. Get over yourself!

I stand corrected....
  • ...n BTW, the trouble with you is that you're all mouth and trousers...and that left a nasty taste in my mouth!!
  • Tropic, no offense but please don't lead this thread away from the intended purpose.
    To anyone, any more additional info?

Yir, thank you for contributing.

Loyalty
  • Have you peepol ever thought of searching through Martindale-Hubbell? Every lawyers including their schools can be found in that set of books. Not sure about the guys that graduated from South Pacific. I only noticed guys and gals from the mainland. when I first searching for jobs in the legal field, I quickly resort to MARTINDALE-HUBBELL because it has everything I need to know about the particular firm and every lawyers in that firm including what law schools they went to and if they were all 4.0 students. Additionally, most prestigious law firms only hired dudes and dudettes who graduated from the best law schools and top of their class. At any rate, please contact Martindale-Hubbell and get your info from there. What you'll get on Micsem is secondary and not credible at all, bye bye!!
  • Tropic2:

Thanks for so openly displaying your ignorance. Martindale-Hubbell does not list all graduates of law school, the point of the question. Martindale-Hubell lists only graduates of law school who are members of a state bar in the United States, and even then does NOT list all bar members, only those who wish to be listed in their directory. Most FSM graduates of law schools are not members of state bar associations, and would therefore not appear in the directory.

Again thanks for demonstrating that you are a big mouthed blowhard.
  • One important thing u need to disclose is where these individuals obtained their pre-law degrees. Cuz many came out of Fiji / South Pacific and you definitely cannot compare them to US fully educated ones more rigorous there. Unfair to see these Fiji grads go to DOJ get $40K salary same as someone from US 'ACCREDITED' university.
  • Tropics,
    come and suck on my shorts. You are a lowlife form who tries to be with the big boys and gals in the legal field.

Kolonia,
    Stick to your opinion. Lawyers regardless of the law schools they went to are subject to the same rules in the FSM. Pass the bar and practice. Like Sarem said not many lawyers wanted to be listed. As far as I know Kembo Jr have passed one of the US bars- Michigan. Is he the only one? There are others who have passed different bars outside the FSM.

Loyalty,

I just remember some more. Joses Gallen (not sure whether USP or PNG), Ready Johnny (same as Joses), Joseph Phillip (PNG).
  • Yir,
    Much appreciation for the info. I am very grateful indeed. And that goes the same for those helping.
    Just to kind of give you a hint for the purpose of the research, I am a college senior now and hoping to go to law school. I'm trying to weigh possible topics for diversity statement and personal statement for application purposes and considering to use some facts to boost my chances.

Any advice for that matter? is it good in your opinion? If not, from what angle should I approach?

Loyalty
  • Kolonia - FYI - LLBs (British law degree) and JDs (US law degrees) are the same. British Accreditation and US Accreditation standards are the same as well. Please do your research so you can enlighten yourself on this before you criticize lawyers at the DOJ.
  • Sarem,
    Why are you so down in the mouth today?
  • Yir,
    As far as I'm concerned, you can go to hell!!
  • ALRIIGHT! MY KINDA PLAYING GROUNDS...LETS RUMBLE!!!
  • jeez..i was only joking.

carry on..please:-)
  • Tropics, I am in paradise so how can I go to hell. Thank you.

Loyalty,

Great to hear your interest in pursuing law as your choice of future profession. Law schools in the Common law jurisdictions (USA, England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USP etc) share on thing in common. They can trace their roots to the British system as these countries were settled by England. As a consequence England by and large transplanted its system to the above jurisdictions. In the case of the FSM, many argues that it followed the USA model. Well it does, but not without incorporating the Micronesian own jurisprudence first.

Your choice as to which law school to attend I guess will depend on many circumstances, money, distance, interests, and educational background. You will at the end graduate as a lawyer and seek to be admitted in whatever common law jurisdiction you want to practice in. If you want to practice in the FSM any law schools from the above jurisdictions is fine. However, if you want to practice in the other jurisdictions, you need to satisfy their requirements before you can be considered.

In any event, good luck and my utmost wish to you in your future legal endevor.
  • Loyalty,

if you want to become a lawyer, start now by reviewing the FSM SS law, taking into account the equal protection clause laid down in the FSM constitution. this is a good thing to work on.

also, check if there is a provision in the FSM constitution regarding passage of laws, specifically social legislations like the SS law. are social legislations supposed to be prospective or retroactive in nature? prospective means it looks forward and does not affect rights being enjoyed at the time of the passage of the law, while retroactive is the opposite in that it looks backward, and it totally applies to everybody regardless of rights acquired under an old law that it amended. again, what i am saying is about the SS law.

generally, under the american and spanish laws upon which most laws are based, a law is usually prospective in nature. but it can be applied retroactively in some cases, like in criminal law where the law is favorable to the accused who is not a habitual delinquent.

this SS law in particular has never been questioned.
    now go do your research and you will gain insights into
  • Here are the Yapese with law degrees:

1. Martin Yinug - graduated in 1980 from Catholic University, Washington, D.C.; currently the Chief Justice of the FSM Supreme Court;

2. Clement Mulalap - graduated in 1981 from Western State University College of Law, Fullerton, California; currently in private practice and a member of the Yap State Legislature;

3. Cyprian Manmaw - graduated in 1981 from Lewis and Clark School of Law, Portland, Oregon; currently the Chief Justice of the Yap State Court;

4. Leelkan D. Mulalap - graduated in 1982 from Western State University College of Law, Fullerton, California; currently the Legislative Counsel for the Yap State Legislature;

5. Ben Tured - graduated from the Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii; currently the Executive Director of the Micronesian Legal Service Corporation, Saipan, Marianas Islands;

6. John Mootmag - graduated from the Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii; currently the Directing Attorney of Micronesian Legal Service, Yap Office;

7. Victor Nabeyan - graduated from a law school in the South Pacific; former Attorney General for the State of Yap and currently in private practice;

8. Joey Sapelalut - graduated from a law school in the U.S.; currently the FSM Public Defender; and

9. Clement Y. Mulalap - graduated from the Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, with a JD and just recently graduated from the University of New York with a Masters of Law degree in International Law; currently working with the FSM Mission to the United Nations in New York.

Good luck to you Loyalty in the pursuit of a law degree! I hope the above will help you in your research.
  • peace2u,

Kaselehlie ! thank you for your list of Yapese lawyers with law degrees - mighty impressive indeed. All the best to them, and to those who will follow them.

Villager
  • I thank you all for contributing, I guess I'm not the only one interested after all..I think it's good that we know about our leaders ...anyhow, anything from the other states?

Loyalty
  • please give us their high schools and four year colleges they graduated from.

example: Clement Muleleap Xavier High School 1972 four college name? and year graduated. thanks
  • Sabino Asor...Chuuk High school 1976....B.S in Political Science Univeristy of Hawaii, Hilo 1985 ....Law degree from Thomas San Diego, CA...1990

Jack Fritz...Chuuk High School 1970.....B/A in History.....Univeristy of hawaii 1973...Law degree from University of Hawaii at Manoa...1978

Wesley Simina...Chuuk High School 1979...B/A in Buisness Adminitration from Univeristy of Hawaii Honolulu 1986--law degree from Univeristy of Hawaii at Manoa--1991

Johnny Meippen...Xavier High School 1976...B/A in Communication from University of Santa Fe 1984, law degree from South Pacific 1988

Jason Robert...Xavier High School...1994...law degree from South Pacific 1999

Mariano Marcus...Xavier High School ...1978...B/S in Business Admin...Univeristy of Guam 1981...law degree from Univeristy of San Frnancisco 1998

Hans Williander....Chuuk High School...year? B/S in Accounting from Harvard University 1972

Julius outer island of Chuuk...Xavier High School...1980....B/A in Criminal Justice 1984 University State Univeristy, law degree from Univeristy of Utah 1989
  • Madafan, thank you so much. Are these all from chuuk? What about Ricky Hartman? I guess kembo is pohnpei then. And rescue Jr. I'm just curious cus I want to know those with law degrees ...not so much on those practicing, but thank you anyway, I really appreciate it.
    Anyone else, pohnpei? Kosrae?

Loyalty
  • Full Information about Yapese lawyers:

1. Martin Yinug - graduated in 1980 from Catholic University, Washington, D.C.; currently the Chief Justice of the FSM Supreme Court;

2. Clement Mulalap - graduated in 1981 from Western State University College of Law, Fullerton, California; currently in private practice and a member of the Yap State Legislature; passed the California Bar but not a member;

3. Cyprian Manmaw - graduated in 1981 from Lewis and Clark School of Law, Portland, Oregon; currently the Chief Justice of the Yap State Court; took and passed the Oregon Bar but not a member;

4. Leelkan D. Mulalap - graduated in 1982 from Western State University College of Law, Fullerton, California; currently the Legislative Counsel for the Yap State Legislature; took and passed the California Bar but not a member;

5. Ben Tured - graduated from the Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii; currently the Executive Director of the Micronesian Legal Service Corporation, Saipan, Marianas Islands; took and passed the Hawaii Bar but not a member;

6. John Mootmag - graduated from the Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii; currently the Directing Attorney of Micronesian Legal Service, Yap Office; took and passed the Hawaii Bar but not a member;

7. Victor Nabeyan - graduated from a law school in the South Pacific; former Attorney General for the State of Yap and currently in private practice; also a member of the Fiji Bar;

8. Joey Sapelalut - graduated from a law school in the U.S.; currently the FSM Public Defender; took and passed the Texas Bar but not a member; and

9. Clement Y. Mulalap - graduated from the Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii, with a JD and just recently graduated from the University of New York with a Masters of Law degree in International Law; currently working with the FSM Mission to the United Nations in New York, took and passed the Hawaii Bar but not a member.