Is Xavier still the best school in Micronesia?

Comments

• uhmmm I think I know who you are wild child.....LOL ms. firecracker!! hehehehe
  • im tellin u, it's not the smarts that put xavier on top, it the life lessons it taught, which made some leaders who they are today. sadly, i dont think it does that anymore.
  • why dont you all fight over this..we all know which school is best.

even if it was crappy there is no other competition, one of a kind. its the best of its kind in Micronesia....LOL *cough* PATS *cough* uhm excuse me, bad cough, I have here.
  • It still does.
    It's just kids this days.

wild_child, I agree with you--but the things I hear people say about Mindszenty aren't very nice. And they've been there.
  • There'll always be some disparaging levels between public and private schools. Unless you attended all the different schools in Micronesia, you won't know which one is the best. I attended xavier, SDA, PICS and Kosrae High school,. My thoughts? khs for public schools and Xavier for private. That's just from my experience.
  • i can say the same thing too about Xavier, Aqualen. like someone said 'there are flaws everywhere you go'.
  • ei, Wild_Child...Cardinals all the way!

I am from the old school, influenced by the succession of Xavier graduates who were making names for themselves in the upper echelon of the micronesian society, particularly Palau. I was proud and envious of those labels and accomplishments! I always wanted to attend XHS and even passed the test but was too sissy to leave home.

I stayed and attended MHS which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I managed to do very well, topping my class.
    Midszenty High School is as successful if not more so in our local Island; and a lot of the alumnus are administering at the top echelon of the Palauan society as well.

I do believe still that Xavier is one of the academically superior schools in the Pacific region.This is evidenced by lots of the leaders and influential people in the palauan society who still sends their kids to Xavier because of the high standard of education.
  • " For those who are not familiar with Xavier High School, it is a Jesuit college preparatory school located in Chuuk, Federated States of Micronesia. For nearly 60 years, with few resources, it has provided an outstanding educational experience for its small student body. And in the process, trained many of the region's best known leaders."...Surprised? This post was from Floyd Takeuchi on facebook. I think he agrees with some of us!
  • I'm a product of public schools and I turned out ok. When I was a student at COM-FSM, I was able to compete with some very intelligent students from all over the region, including kids from Xavier. Like every other schools in the region, Xavier also graduated some very dumb students. It was really sad to see Xavier graduates performing lower than average..So, what's the ruckus about Xavier?
  • lol You know what the XHS graduates think of your sentences? Your great message of all is the last sentence "XHS graduated some very dumb students and XHS graduates performing lower than average... You have a reason for choosing words wisely and its location.. at the last of every friendly, charming and peaceful things you said.

You are a proud and non XHS student.
    You are a Public student not a Private school product like XHS.
    You were very competent with students from other schools
    Your competence identify some XHS being very dumb.
    XHS is sad
    XHS graduates performing lower than average.
  • How do you compare schools?? and when did Xavier High become best School in Micronesia??...
  • croco is stalking! hahahahahahahaha
  • "Best high school in Micronesia!"

A self appointed title. How about this one:

"The Harvard of Micronesia!"

Really??!?!?!

Palau, Saipan and Guam graduate many of their own
    leaders. Xavier has produced mainly FSM leaders. Isn't it
    more accurate if Xavier is tagged as the "Best high
    school in FSM"?

But as of the past decade, many of their students have been
    performing AT or BELOW the levels of other high school STUDENTS.

Honestly, I think Xavier slowly slipped from being the BEST in
    Micronesia to the BEST in FSM 10 years ago. Now it is just the
    BEST high school in Chuuk... for now.
  • islandgirlthisyear, many Xavierites hate to go to COM. Those who go there, would sometimes just slack off and not do their best. Think about it, if you were Usein Bolt, the worlds fastest runner, would give a crap to compete with a bunch of old lady paced athletes? No. I hope this gives you a better view. This year two Xavierites were granted the Gates scholarship. What about your pubic...Ahem, um, Public school? How many were eligible, and how many were granted the scholarship.

Xavier is still the best! Yup that's for sure...hehe.
  • Lemme get this straight,

The Gates scholarship is awarded to the best school in Micronesia? Wasn't it given to
    multiple Micronesians from different high schools?

I know a Gates recipient from Xavier who dropped out of college.

but anyways, that's one possible indicator of "academic excellence". That still
    doesn't mean it's the best.
  • I believe it does not worth it to be pondering over topic. Let us face it, if you believe XHS is still a good school in all areas of children development then send your child/children. Please stay away from the school if you believe it is not a good school.

Frankly, COM-FSM is not outstanding amongst international colleges so rarely the best of XHS students will show up there. So if you out do a XHS product (s) please do not assume on a general level. Afterall, it is wise to keep our believes to ourselves.....I am challenging myself to send all my children to XHS provided opportunity is granted......lol
  • Let's look at something I was hoping would come up earlier.

Xavier is WASC accredited.

BUT, there are other schools in Micronesia that are accredited too.
    Palau High School and Pohnpei Island Central School. Guam has
    a dozen or so. In the Marshalls: Marshall Islands High School &
    Assumption Schools.

These are schools that I know of. Are any other schools in
    FSM/Micronesia accredited? Have any failed accreditation?

As far as I'm concerned only 2 schools in FSM are accredited.

Why is this important? Because it ensures that there is a standard
    for ALL the graduates of accredited schools. Not just the few
    outstanding students.
  • pweipwei,

I respect your beliefs but, I want to KNOW which school is better.

Don't you want to bring your kids to the school you KNOW is better vs.
    the one you THINK is better?
  • I have it that because of debate, sport, college performance of XHS students lately all constitute current clouds over XHS image. However, rest assure XHS is working on that as we speak for what past XHS leadership dropped from regular daily schedule had shown teeth in image; .i.e fitness program & too much free time.

I was speaking to one board member & learned that current board is aware of public concerns & especially its Alumni about XHS and currently working with sitting administrator (s) to bring back past activities/trainings that were dropped. To ensure, some XHS alumni are on board now to reinstate........so my friend Inno.....I do not just think, I also know.........thus.........I believe.......
  • Ok so you mean, the current board acknowledges that they aren't doing well so
    they are trying to get better.

Thank you for that bit of info.
  • Xavier High School was the best in micronesia 15 to 20 years ago, it's not anymore. it's just a good school. Xavier High gets full marks for having a great environment that promotes students to be unified and work as a team. work and play together no matter what grade your in. that's hard to find in almost every school.

However, in academics and sports, it's just good. It is definately not THE HARVARD OF MICRONESIA. If it was, then that is very sad for Micronesia.
  • Xavier High School is absolutely the best high was, is, and will be, the best high school in Micronesia!

Gates Scholarship is not awarded to the best school in Micronesia, but the Scholarship sure do have a great number of applicants. Any student can apply to this scholarship if them meet the requirements such as:

-Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American,
    -Are a citizen/legal permanent resident or national of the United States,
    -Have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4.00 scale (unweighted) at the time of nomination,
    -Will be entering a U.S. accredited college or university as full-time, degree seeking freshmen in the Fall of 2010,
    -Have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular or other activities, and
    -Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria.

Many many many people apply to this scholarships and a little over 1000 students are granted the scholarship. Last year TWO students from Xavier were granted the scholarship. In 2008, another Student was granted the scholarship from Xavier. The school year has just begun, but guess what? Xavier students are already applying for the scholarship. If we wait long enough, we would just be hearing about ANOTHER Xavier Student getting the scholarship. Yall see, this scholarship despite it's difficulty is a peice of cake to Xavier.

What about the other schools. Many here just enjoy criticizing Xavier. Instead of providing facts about the other SO CALLED "Best high school in Micronesia" ya'll just criticize.
  • yeah but only a handful of students turn in their application. As far as I know about 5 students from XHS turned in
    their applications in 2003 or 2004 and none of them got it.

To my understanding as well, Xavier turns in the most applications to the scholarship than any other high
    school in Micronesia. The other high schools are only starting to encourage their students to apply.

Even if they did get it, you still stated that it isn't awarded to the best school.

I'm not hating on Xavier. I just want to get some facts to why it's "the best high school in Micronesia".

So far, nothing. 3 pages of personal opinions and generalizations. From Xavier and other schools.

Are we just going to accept it is because no one has done their research?

Might as well send my kids to the mainland where their schools are less pretentious.
  • Two submitted, yes, imagine if all submitted? Mr. Gates would be looking for ways to fund some more money. That's part of compassion. Xavier damn knows that it's not right to keep Mr.Gates worried and hurt over his money loss. Why didn't the other schools submit? Were they out-dated and just didn't know that such scholarship existed? Were they even qualified? Were they accredited to go to any US colleges?
  • Xavier High School sucks because of their new director PERIOD.
  • That is something you can pride yourself with. Xavier has a good understanding about
    scholarships. And many of their teachers are recent high school and university grads from
    the mainland so they are knowledgeable about possible financial aids.

They were qualified Hidden, and accredited. They just didn't submit their applications. But
    now they are. And the years that Xavierites didn't get the scholarship, I believe it went mainly
    to Yap. 3 students I believe received it in 2005 or 2006. And one received it for this year along
    with the two Xavierites.

Xavier has about 6 who've received the scholarship. They are also the ones who turned in the
    most applications.

The math says that the more you apply the better chance you get at being accepted.
  • pni_nettpoint, a single director cannot cause the entire school to "suck", um you should rephrase, and just write, "The new director of Xavier high school SUCKS! EXCLAMATION!".

Inno,
    Yes, only if you apply, but one can only apply when he/she qualifies.

Future FSM leaders at their school (Xavier) enjoying daily life not knowing what the future awaits.
  • The best school for me would be those schools that the poor strugling parents can send their kids to.. the Public Schools.

I know some kids who always want to go to some of these private schools, but sadly, they cannot afford... or they are not that smart.

One day, i will make a school that is availabale to the dumb and poor students....our vocus nowadays is always on the best, the best, the best, the rich, the rich, the smart, the big, the beautiful, etc....

maaan, are you people that blind? i am ashamed of you Micronesians.
  • Hidden, I thought i should give you this to read over. Thats an opinion from an outsider. Thanks KU '96

Dear Father Rich,
    I hope this finds you well. I'm preparing for my return trip to Xavier High School with much anticipation. As you might guess, I've been spending many hours going over the hundreds of photographs that I took during my two-week stay in March. My biggest challenge is to edit aggressively, and that's a slow process.
    But in doing the work, I've also had a chance to reflect some more on Xavier High School and the critical role in plays in the Micronesian region. I hope you don't mind if I share some of these thoughts with you.
    The school's storied history was behind the idea of an extended photographic essay on Xavier in book form. Like many others in the region, I was aware that many of Micronesia's finest leaders were graduates of the school. I have been fortunate to know many of them in my work as a journalist. But I realized I didn't know how those students developed into leaders, and that's what intrigued me about the possibility of doing a book project focused on Xavier High School.
    Being able to spend two weeks on the Mabuchi campus, 24/7, was a real eye-opener for me. The time there, which was spent in classrooms, on playing fields, in informal discussions with students, faculty and staff, as well as in the community, gave me a clear understanding of Xavier's strengths and its special place in Micronesia.

Why does Xavier work, and work so well? I would suggest it is because the school sets high personal and academic expectations for its students, establishes a disciplined environment in which to learn and grow, and grounds all decision making, personal and academic, against the touchstone of faith.
    Those factors alone would separate Xavier from nearly every other educational enterprise in the region. It is our challenge to live in a time, and work in a region, where familial, societal and governmental expectations are low, where there's little consequence for those who fail to meet standards or accept responsibility, and the ever-encroaching spread of Western popular culture continues to erode the foundations of cultural life.
    In that sense, and speaking frankly, I came to see Xavier High School as an island of hope in a sea of despair. I'm not just talking about Chuuk State, as challenged as it is when it comes to good governance and fiscal responsibility. I'm talking about the challenges of working in our region, where fiscal and human resources struggle ever harder to meet the needs of contemporary life. Xavier excels, even with limited physical and financial resources, but still it excels. Indeed, it is one of the few examples of hope in the region.

But what makes Xavier High School particularly special is that it is now the only institution -- educational or otherwise -- that brings Micronesians together to learn, and to learn from each other. By Micronesians, of course, I refer not just to citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, but also to those from the Marshall Islands and Palau. The critical importance of this cross-cultural learning experience should not be underestimated, particularly today. There has never been a time in the history of the region where it is so important to understand that others face similar challenges, and to have well-developed relationships to bridge physical and cultural divides. No other institution plays this role, not even the College of Micronesia-FSM, or the University of Guam.
    At one time, 40 and 50 years ago, there were two schools that trained a generation of leaders in the Micronesian region. They were Xavier High School and the Pacific Islands Central School in Ponape. Those were also days of limited financial resources, but the administering authority and the Jesuits both came to the same conclusion: there had to be a process to train the best and the brightest to be leaders.
    There was an understandable move to broaden public education opportunities in the Micronesian region beginning in the 1960s. Unfortunately, as we all know, the reality is that in many if not most areas, the spread of public education has not been matched by high levels of quality instruction. I was reminded of that harsh reality when I spent part of a morning with Xavier students at Sapuk Elementary School.

I'm not sure if Sapuk Elementary School is the worst example of public education in the FSM -- I doubt it -- but the fact that it is allowed to remain open is all the evidence one needs to know that public education is failing in the region, and in particular, failing those students who rightly expect that their future can be better than their present. And PICS, which in contrast provided real hope and opportunity to those who were fortunate enough to be selected to be students, is tragically but a distant memory.
    But Xavier High School remains, and its work is more important today, in my estimation, than the role in played in the 1950s and 1960s when nation building was paramount. Xavier's importance is not just about being a Catholic school, or even a "good" high school. It is about being a special community that attracts the best and brightest from across the Micronesian region to learn and grow in an environment of the highest academic and personal expectations, of discipine and respect, of deep faith, and with a proven record of continuous success over six decades.

No other educational institution in the region can make that case.

Certainly, the region's needs are so great that we'll need graduates of many schools to build a prosperous and sustainable future. But we will also need strong and capable leaders to show the way, men and women who have both deep knowledge and tested values, who understand that they are part of a larger regional community with similar hopes and challenges. In the Micronesian region, only Xavier High School is producing the graduates who can play that role.
    I want to thank you again for allowing me to be a part of your special community. I look forward to rejoining you, your colleagues and the students at Xavier High School in a few days.

--
    Floyd K. Takeuchi