Chuukese Interpreter

Hi everyone, i am in need of a Chuukese interpreter. Any chance any one out there knows of a Chuukese speaker who lives in the East Coast? (Connecticut, Massachusetts or NY)

Comments

• thisisnina:

Hire interpreters through the Internet from other states as others do. Currently, out of Hilo, I am reviewing three stndard letters to/from parents a school in Washington State sent me for translation. A contract was sent along for my review and signature. I am only at this stage but others are aleady in the motion.

If you need the individual to be present on the site look for Chuukese in the neighboring states if there is no one in NY, Massachusetts and Conn. I know there are Chuukese in NY, Tampa, Fla., and South Carolina. Good luck.
  • Tirow Sap Ren Namanamtekia... sipwe chok satuni...
    thisisnina, if you need an interpreter for non-judiciary matters, then we can help you out by referring other chuukese in those areas, however, if your need for an interpreter is for legal matters, I kindly suggest that you contact Xavier Maipi who is currently the ONLY Chuukese interpreter who has been approved for court interpretation in that area. X. Maipi is a very busy interpreter/translator you might have to work with his schedule. Just google his name you will find him.

Tirow
  • thisisina,

father Bruce residing in Conneticut. or James Naich, and the girls from moch, their in NY. Hey they should help out, with pay or w/out. I believed when our brothers and sisters need help they should be there to assist regardless of genders.lol or regardless of ke pach ka tento....Don't ask father Bruce if this is criminal case, you know he can't lie. thanks. Ask James Naich!

THX
    *(*_*)♥♥♥
  • That's very presumptuos of you Ms. CJ, I'm pretty sure there are others who are qualified for that matter. Mr. Maipi is just one of them, probably the most well known but not the only one, there may be better ones as well. I know of a very good one as well. Ignorance is the mother of all @#$ %$*&&^**
  • Okay, Omusano Solace. Tirow Womw. I did not say that he is the only qualified interpreter. KIndly read this ,he is the only one approved by NY judiciary. Others maybe qualified, but not approved yet, by NY JUDICIARY. Please do not take this any wrong way, I am simply giving out factual info.

Tirow,

CQ
  • boy you chuukese are really bagging big tyme on these no can speak engirsh BS?
  • Isn't Angela Engichy certifiable by the courts? She is traditionally fearless, a no non-sense aborginal, and best of all, she is a Chuukese Apache. If you are of sound mind and logic, you should contact her to assist you.
  • sorry bout my last comments folks.
  • edited August 2009
  • 1NITE-STAND, I have so much respect and passion for the interpreter "profession", it is therefore, very important for me to correct what you said about father not being able to do interpretation in court. First of all, it is not true and necessary to give the impression in any way fashion or form that only those who can lie will be able to do interpretation. THAT IS WHAT'S CALL>>POOR INTERPRETATION. If an interpreter does not know what his/her role intail, then problems like that would happen... An interpreter's job is to interpret what is being said between the parties, even if anyone of them is lying or saying the wrong things. An interpreters job is to say what is being said, THAT'S IT. Even if the other party is asking someone to lie, it is not your choice as an interpreter to interfer! Please keep that in mind next time you go to court. Let me tell you a story about an interpreter who was excused from court cuz he said in court, "Your honor the client is lying..." the case was either dismissed or retry cuz of that mess up. Ina pwata kosapw era enna ren patere. He can if he chooses to help out. If he feels that something is not right and he can continue to help out, then he can excuse himself but not interfer with the flow of communication. Iwe ina, si chok mochen ngonuk enna info. pun ete fen wor chon rong ra osukosuk ren.

Tirow womw Onenite.

CQ
  • C_J, lol. I thought most of this criminal are liers. lol...I know! just a suggestion.lol.

THX.
    *(*_*)♥♥♥

ai tong nganok CQ.
  • Hey, hey! whether they are lairs or not, it is not your position to judge them of such... whether you know it or not, it is not your job, om kopwe pwan ita emesekis. Ika kose tongeni aporousa met ra apasa nge kosapw pwan atoka fetanin porous, iwe mei pung! Eni esapw ina finienemon pwe kopwe aninis non na pekin. Nikitano, esapw ew mettoch minen aporousa me etikinou ika ifa nepopun are ion e mwan. Iwe tirow sefan, ach kapong.

CQ
  • edited August 2009
    CJ:

What shall a person do to be qualified, or certified by the Court system to become a competent interpreter?

Interpretation, or misinterpretation is a very hard job-especially if one's credibility or life (the defendant) is dependent on the interpreter's understanding of legal jargons. We know that interpreters are not trained in the legal system and that in effect may create problems, don't you think?

I had an opportunity to observe a criminal case in Guam listening in on a case. It became a burden on the interpreter and at the end the defendant was found guilty as charged anyway. When I met the defendant later during that year, he said he was going to sue the interpreter for misinterpreting what he had said in court. Apparently, the interpreter's understanding of the legal jargon could not be translated into the vernacular language, but kept on interpreting anyway rather than telling the Court about the problem. I have no idea whether or not he followed up on his threat.There were many cases where many were jailed because of the interpreter, not the legal justice system.

Is interpretation a concise science or a miss and take exercise?

Kkaapppong amumu nganei One-night sit.
  • Timid, OH, Tim! It is not my place to do a mass training on this subject here on micsem... *lol, kopiten en chon chuuk, upwe chok kapasen chuuk. Pokiten ua fen esinesin ngeni judiciary non ei neni uwe nomw ia, upwe tirow pun usapw pwan chiwen mo porous won ekken technical part. Nikitngeni ami ekken mi presently work with the judiciary system. Ren mo iei, NO COMMENT! Ewer mi auchea an emon me emon epwe pusin aa an pochokunen finata ika inet epwe fonofonono ika inet epwe porous. Omusano tirow, a mo iei ai fansoun fanafanano... I will still help out in outside of Hawaii cases, but presently not in Hawaii!!! Iwe ina eisini ekkena re mochen porous won enna... Ren ngang, sorry my friend, I would rather not comment!

Tirow omusano,

CQ
  • CJ if you truly care for them Chuukese as you sound to be, you should be training people of the art of interpretation. Pass on the talent as others have in other fields. Just a thought. Amusalo ach pupungaw......
  • C_J I see that we have a lot of differences in our job. I am a social workers who work so close to CPS and the police department. If I see it with my own eyes that, a child has been abuse, and I have to be an interpreter, sorry I can't interpreter. My position is to prevent child abuse. if the parents told me to lie, sorry girl, I rather save someone lifes than lie. that's why I stated above that, you can't ask someone that they believed in the truth.....
    remember, truth set you free my dear...aroha.....

THX, 1nite.
    ►♥♥♥◄
  • Kinisou, thank you Solace! God echok mi sinei ian me fansoun epwe fis mettoch mei murino. Feel free to email me if you want to ask questions. I am not the authority on interpretation and I will not pretend to be, but I do know some stuff and have been there to know enough. Iz all! Anon Timid ngeni chok chowe re lukuno..."Upwe fangeno ew, nge nikiti ew, pun ute sewa pon.." *kidding. Email if you want info. as far as giving too much info on here. It would be irresponsible for me to do that...Tirow sefan.

CQ
  • *HA, ONE-ATE-STAND! I am an interpreter and I'VE been down your road. Been there to prevent it and been there to help put them away, if they deserve it. Use kan weweiti met enna ke era...I will hold my peace for now, but there is a solution to every problem. Did it and it took care of the problem. I am not there to find the truth or set anyone free from the truth, I am simply a voice for the parties.., ute pwan asachungu akuremi ngeni chommong mettoch. Do your job as you should, and you will be alright. pwata usun oua fen kon pwan ameteki makuremi? Iwe ina, ua mo anif..tirow

CQ
  • C_J and Tongen fan ew chok,

It's great to read differing opinions from intellectual minds as yours. Here is my little take on the interpreter's qualification issue- you apply to become one just like any other jobs. Each state has its own Court Interpreter Program for certification. Then if you become one- then you interpret in accordance to the guidelines afforded by that state statutes.

Omusano kan ina chok mefiei na ekis
  • True that Saka,

"...The state of Oregon, one of the states that does not required Micriconesian language in general certification, at least durin my time..."
    but thngs may have changed. CJ, Your job is very prestigous and you should be proud of it. It's one of the kind. My favorite court is Washington County court and Monthloma county downtown PDX. Judges and court clerks there are much nicer v. the Marion County court. but one should not wonder--that is a very conservative city. The only judge that I enjoyed stood infront was judge Gregory West. nice man.

CJ, do they still have them parties for all court interpreters? those are good networking events, you get to meet a lot of judges and court clerks.
    take care and be proud of what your doing...I did! One thing is you own your own boss and you get to say no when not in the mood of interpreting. many blessings.

Oh before I foget, there's a dude (Judge) who had problem with dirnking, is he still working as a Judge?
  • it is a fun job with married chuukese interpreters housing their chuukese mistresses in portland and god know where else.
  • whatever that means...quit running around naked!
  • Very true, Saka! If I am not mistaken, I believe Mr. Timid was getting at something else beside the procedure to become an interpreter. Let me clarify that procedure before I go on to other things..

If you want to be an interpreter you must do the following:
    1. Do self-evaluation to know what your strengths and weakness are. You must know this before you even take on any kind of job or profession.
    2. Honestly ask yourself, what are your passion and values and if you are interested in court interpreting, then go on and study what is required of an interpreter and what the job entails.
    3. In general, each state has its own requirement and procedures that must be met before one can start doing interpretation in the legal system. Overall, the following are some of the things that each state would require.
    a) Application to work with their judiciary system. Please keep in mind that not all the states have a unified court interpretation system. By that I mean, Circuit court might do their own recruiting and have their own system and so are the district courts for each district.
    b) All courts regardless of the state they are in, do require that you take an ethical test to see your knowledge on what you can and can not do while working for the court, as an interpreter.
    c) Written Exams. Presently only Hawaii and Oregon has written test for Micronesian languages. Check them out if you are interested in court interpretation. Also, each state has its own cut off score, I believe Hawaii has dropped its initial 70% requirement to 60%, (not too sure of that). I personally have not taken the exams because it is a very hard exam and it requires a lot of preparation and my flying in and out of state for professional or personal reasons do not help either. So for the record, CJ has not taken the exam, but do know enough from experience to be able to keep up with the legal procedures =).
    d) Background check, they will require you to do finger prints and personal history for them to know about you if you are a criminal working for the judiciary system. So if you got stuff on your record, you will not be allowed to work with the courts. Presently, not all interpreters who are working in Hawaii courts have done the background checks. I have chuukese come up to me and ask me why so and so is working but they did stuff in other places. My response, “It is between them and the courts and it is your responsibility to report them.”
    e) Oral exam. Not all the language in Micronesia has oral exams available. Presently in Hawaii only chuukese and Marshallese, (not too sure about Marshallese) have an abbreviated oral exam available. So far, only 1 chuukese has passed that exam, that interpreter is not here in Hawaii. Congrats to him/her!

There you go, that is what you need to do to be an interpreter. Remember that Chuukese language is a rare language and it is, so far, one of the high demand language in US. Some of you might have been able to do interpretation without going through the proper procedure because of urgent and pressing needs of the different courts. If you happen to be one of them, please be truthful to you and your own people by either do true interpretation to the clients and/or service providers or excuse yourself if you do know you can not honestly do true interpretation.

I wish you all the best in whatever you are doing, and if judiciary interpretation is for you, GO FOR IT. Ai tong ngeni ami chiechiei chon chuuk, pwan kapong non nimenimoch.

Tirow,
    Pwan ewe chok - CQ
  • I also wish you the best in your most prestigious endeavor (Court interpretation). glad we have someone that can help our fellow chuukese.
    keep up the good work CJ. and may the lord be with you. good day.
  • Timid, because I do know deep down in my heart that you were referring to something else beside the set procedures for court interpretation, I am kindly asking for clarification from you on what you meant by all that you have said/written. Where you asking about those that have passed the exam and are not able to do court interpretation or where you asking me to lay out the procedure for court interpretation? Whatever the case maybe, please do let me know what you you were asking. If you are asking for more than what I have already put down above, then sorry again, I, me and myself will not talk about it. But it would be nice to know what you mean.=)

Thank you,

CQ
  • Cj you wrote,
    "HA, ONE-ATE-STAND! I am an interpreter and I'VE been down your road. Been there to prevent it and been there to help put them away, if they deserve it." Is it part of your jay oh be to do this? aren't you just there to do interpretation? Wheew!!!!!
  • Is it the fact that chuukese don't speak English, or they get in trouble more than other Micronesians, or both? Is this why chuukese interpreters are always needed? If so, what is wrong with our chuukese brothers/sisters? Tough time adjusting? Tougher than the rest of Micronesians, or they just plain stupid? Why chuukese ? Why? ...oh chuukese why? Why must you shame the rest of Micronesia...
  • Okay, I feel like I am doing more than what needs to be said on here... every time I wrote something, I have to do a follow up response. Whooowheee! Anyhow, Solance, if you want to learn more about interpretation, please feel free to email me, and I will be more than happy to assist you in anyway possible. It is not good to try to seek information by challenging another, it is much better to do so by inquiring what it is that you want to know, but not put in an accusatory tone. Just a kind suggestion, communication would be much better that way. Iwe ina, Solance…may I ask, what do you do for a living, and what state are you residing in? I might be able to help you more if I know a little about you.

As for the “acztory tones” you wrote above, I would like to kindly ask you that you get to know me a little better, either via internet (email or phone) or in person then we can continue this conversation. It is starting to be waste of energy for me, at this point, but I will do my best one more time to answer your questions. As an interpreter, you will not be a ONE MAN TEAM, or try to be all superwoman/man, you will be part of a group of people or sometimes, a party of two who are trying to communicate without letting the language barrier be a hindrance to achieve whatever is the goal the service provider/client want to get across and/or achieve. As such, you will be doing nothing but interpret conversations and if you are experience enough, you would know when it is necessary to inject related cultural matters. I never once went to anyone’s house or court and do anything on my own!!!!!!! I have no intention to do that and I will not do that! As an interpreter, you will be fortunate to be part of many teams who will be working with different groups. It is through such experience that you would get to help out, not as an advocate but as an interpreter to help the communication along smoothly, or in some cases, and sadly it is the case sometimes, contribute negatively to the whole… enough, I am getting tried of writing but shoots your questions via email so that I can learn a little about you, before I give away too much info. Solance, if you are an interpreter, then I think you need to learn more, cuz your questions are totally blowing me away; worried if you know what I mean.

Anyway, let me rest and get back to the skinhead hater…*lol

Cai’o

CQ
  • edited August 2009
    CJ:

It was out of curiosity since many defendants claimed that the outcome of their cases where contrary to what they anticipated. Furthermore, defendants said they wanted to interject in Court, but were gagged even though their understanding of the legal jargons were better than the interpreters. I said to get copy of the court tape and asked another interpreter to give further opinion of it. Should they differ in their interpretation, then see a lawyer for rehearing- so I jokingly said.

My question is thus, how does one deal with the conflict between two interpreters' interpretation. Does the Court rank interpreters to resolve this type of conflict?
  • IC, I would say take this concern and info. to your own system. It would be better for them to deal with it. By the way, so far, OJD is the only court I know of, that do follow the guidelines to the "T". They were, not sure if they still do have two interpreters per case for trials. I will not go into the details on why two interpreters... what I should say to Timid, when you work with another interpreters, it is a team effort. Both interpreters are to share and consult each other on things that one is not able to understand and/or resolve. Two interpreters are needed for the defense if the defendant is from the Oregon area. Another time two interpreters will be present in court is when both defense and prosecutor need an interpreter. I have done both and I must say I did struggle at my first two appearances in OJD courts cuz their pace is faster and I was not too use to their ways... I had to set aside personal time to learn more to keep up with my partner. This is one of the reasons why I always say Mr. Maipi is one of the best interpreters, I know. I have seen him in action and he was gracious enough to do most of the interpretation for my first two assignments in OJD. So that's that!

Oh, I almost forgot, there are times when more than two interpreters is needed for clients in family court, also if there are multiple parties (co-defendants) more interpreters might be ordered for each client. It really depends on the availability of interpreters in each respective area (state). Again the "profession" is not there for competition, every experience should be a learning one. When there are multiple interpreters, they are each other's support system, not each other's competition. There is nothing wrong with asking another interpreter to help out when one is stuck on a certain terms or anything while the hearing/trial is going on. So far, I have witnessed two to three cases where the client could not understand what was being interpreted to him/her and the interpreter asked the judge if the other interpreter could help him/her out. It worked out well. It has to be done graciously, not in a competition mode. Personally, when the interpretation is just too off and I am working with either defense or prosecutor, I would many times, inform the person I am working with…, and it would be up to them to make the judgment call, on when to interrupt the court and inform court of the info. Yes, I have done that! It is my ethical responsibility as an interpreter for the judiciary system(s).

Defendants: The defendants have every right to appeal their case should they feel it was not done right. Now, do not rush to the courts to file claims because you think you need a second chance. I mean, do it if you truly believe it, but do not do it just for the heck of it!

Timid to answer your question regarding rank of interpreters, well, I do not know if there is any presently, but the judiciary pretty much know the interpreters competency levels from working with them. As far as priority on whom to call, that priority goes to those that have passed the written exams. That is our guideline here in Hawaii; I am not sure about other states. Enough for now….

CQ