Chuuk State Leadership Conference

The chuuk state leadership conference is a joke. They the pro secession team use it to advance their agenda. During the political commission presentation they ignore quetions from known people who are anti secession movement.

Ei leadership conference ese wor namotan ach ei kofemen a chok poponirani masowan.

Its a joke.

Comments

• Chuukese secession is an interesting topic. I wonder if most Chuukese are familiar with what's going on in Spain.

For the unaware, the short version of it all--in my understanding--is that a region of Spain called Catalan has increasingly called for its independence. They recently had ~1m people protest for it. It's a real movement inspired by what its adherents refer to as linguistic and cultural differences between Catalan and the rest of Spain. Like Chuuk in the FSM, Catalan has its own language and it has its own flag.

That said, an issue Catalan has is addressing the big question: what happens if they really become independent? They'd need to develop their own bureaus and processes for virtually everything, from customs and immigration to imports and exports. They'd need to apply for EU membership. Meanwhile, their very existence would disrupt the continuity of the European Union and likely not win them very many friends in the short to middle term. Maybe independence is worth it to them--I'm not from Spain or Catalan--but what it will result in is a measurably inferior quality of life for Catalonians, at least for an appreciable period of time.

When I attended the Micronesian Teachers Education Conference (MTEC) in Chuuk in July, one of the speakers in the opening ceremony discussed Chuukese secession. I also listened to some of my friends in Chuuk discuss it. Those who are for independence seem to genuinely believe that it will be beneficial for Chuuk.

But let's suppose for a moment that Chuuk does, indeed, become independent. Say it's independent tomorrow. The United States Government is on record saying that Chuukese in the US would be deported; there would be no new Compact of Free Association. Taking the USG at its word, and since so much of the FSM's current capacity rests in Palikir, Chuuk would essentially have to start from scratch. There'd be tens of thousands of people arriving, but no funding for schools, the hospital, and other services. I can't see that impacting the average Chuukese positively--though I'd be happy to hear how I am wrong.

Let's further suppose that Chuuk seeks a relationship with another country. China has recently taken ownership of Zambia's equivalent to PUC or CPUC, entitled ZESCO. This is because Zambia defaulted on its loans. It's within the realm of plausibility that Chuuk would receive initial aid and autonomy from China only to later become beholden to China's interests. Even if you argue that Chuuk and the FSM is presently beholden to America's interests, the point of independence is ensure you are not beholden to anyone else at all.

I want whatever the people of Chuuk and the FSM want, and if that's independence then that's okay. And if it's remaining part of the FSM, that's okay too. My opinion doesn't matter. But what does matter is the quality of life for the average Chuukese, and I'm not certain I've heard a compelling argument demonstrating that secession from the FSM is going to improve roads, access to education and healthcare, and high quality jobs for its citizenry. Conversely, every argument I am hearing suggests potential catastrophe for the average Chuukese.

All that said, an issue with such gravitas and passion behind every viewpoint deserves to be treated with respect and open ears to all comments and criticisms.
  • Another expat interfering in island politics. SMDH