Federal judge in Hawaii freezes President Trump’s new entry ban

A federal judge in Hawaii on Wednesday issued a sweeping freeze of President Trump’s new executive order hours before it would have temporarily barred the issuance of new visas to citizens of six Muslim-majority countries and suspended the admission of new refugees.

In a blistering 43-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Derrick K. Watson pointed to Trump’s own comments and those of his close advisers as evidence that his order was meant to discriminate against Muslims and declared there was a “strong likelihood of success” that those suing would prove the directive violated the Constitution.

Watson declared that “a reasonable, objective observer — enlightened by the specific historical context, contemporaneous public statements, and specific sequence of events leading to its issuance — would conclude that the Executive Order was issued with a purpose to disfavor a particular religion.”

He lambasted the government, in particular, for asserting that because the ban did not apply to all Muslims in the world, it could not be construed as discriminating against Muslims.

“The illogic of the Government’s contentions is palpable,” Watson wrote. “The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed.”

At a rally in Nashville, Trump called the ruling “terrible” and asked a cheering crowd whether the ruling was “done by a judge for political reasons.” He said the administration would fight the case “as far as it needs to go,” including up to the Supreme Court, and rued that he had been persuaded to sign a “watered-down version” of his first travel ban.

“Let me tell you something, I think we ought to go back to the first one and go all the way,” Trump said. “The danger is clear, the law is clear, the need for my executive order is clear.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/social-issues/lawyers-face-off-on-trump-travel-ban-in-md-court-wednesday-morning/2017/03/14/b2d24636-090c-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.044d168ad5f0

Comments

• I wonder why the AG of Hawaii did this. Was it just to get his name on the history books or get his own Wikipedia page. No one of those 7 or 8 countries contribute to the economy of Hawaii which is tourism. And i also wonder why this same AG never put a stop to the same ban that Mr.Obama enforced while he was in office. Enough of this already, its time to take it to the supreme court and settle it.
  • That is what needs to be done. Take it to the Supreme Court. Media make this about race when its about protecting the homeland. Islam is not a race.
  • Trump travel ban dealt another blow by Maryland judge

President Trump's temporary travel ban targeting six majority-Muslim countries was dealt another blow Thursday after a federal judge in Maryland suspended a portion of the ban that prevented visas being issued to nationals of the six countries.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/03/16/trump-travel-ban-targeting-muslim-countries/99244568/
  • Just take it to the US Supreme Court. Let the constitution decide.
  • I think the Trump administration can still implement "extreme vetting" by asking the governments of the seven (?) identified countries to provide official documents and background check records for any of their citizens who want to migrate or seek refugee in the US. And if they cannot or would not, then, the US simply will not allow their citizens to come to the US.

In the meantime, while that process is going as part of the existing vetting procedures, the Trump Administration should proceed to bring this to the SCOTUS to settle as so it'll be clear as to what is the authority of the POTUS regarding foreign affairs and immigration; and what role can the judges have in determining what POTUS can or cannot do when it comes to immigration and the safety of the US citizens. Just some thoughts.