HONDA TESTS SOLAR-POWERED ELECTRIC-CAR CHARGING IN MARSHALL ISLANDS

By Stephen Edelstein/Green Car Reports

Beginning this week, Honda will jointly conduct testing with the government of the Marshall Islands of a solar-powered AC charging station called the Honda Power Charger.

With support from the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Honda and the Marshall Islands government will conduct a pilot testing program using the charging stations, and a small fleet of Fit EV electric cars.

Initial results will determine whether more widespread installation of charging infrastructure throughout the Marshall Islands would be worthwhile.

Comments

• No need to use solar vehicle in the marshall islands, you can drive back and forth on an atolls many times on just one gallon of gas fuel....eheh
  • Garim

Promoting climate change...its a big deal.

• Hahaha Garim it shows that you haven been on Majuro...If you have been in Majuro you will know for yourself that the longest pavement road in Micronesia is in Majuro... Majuro might be thin but twice longer than Yap proper...
  • WOW! SMALL ISLANDS BUT BIG DEVELOPMENT
  • The road system here on pohnpei is for shit! It's been 30 some years and still the road isn't paved from one end to the other. In most part it's none existence. That's why I drive a jeep cause it has off road capabilities, here in Hawaii Pohnpei you can drive in pavement the next minute you driving off road like. 30 years half a billion in funding and still no single paved road system in pohnpei or Kosrar or Yap and look at Chuuk it's road was about to be completed but they switched contractors.
  • Lol Riyokwe... Majuro has the longest pave road in Micronesia huh? You must have plans to extend that single road in the future to keep the record of the longest pave road in Micronesia..lol
  • It maybe a single road but it is a paved road. Does Yap have pave road from one end to the other? Plus this project is good cause if it's successful we won't have rely upon heavily on fossil fuel but rather solar energy.
  • Good for RMI, no hills to climb to drain battery faster. Hope it works out well so they won't depend too much on fossil fuel. That is also good contribution to lessening air pollution. :)

Wishing RMI success in this. 
  • this project is good cause if it's successful we won't have rely upon heavily on fossil fuel but rather solar energy.

I couldn't agree more. If small Pacific nations want large, developed nations to combat climate change by reducing their use of oil and gasoline, we need to demonstrate our sincerity by walking the walk, not just talking the talk.
  • Anunaki, Yap does not have any pave road. Enjoy your long pave road while the tide is still low....Lol
  • lol. If you guys are tired of paved roads, come to Chuuk. We have the "traditional" roads and a little bit of modern road. hahaha

Garim I love your roads, especially the one leading to your Stone Money Bank. It's a ONE OF A KIND
  • It's true what they say man, no one can argue like a Yapese girl on heat. I have mountain where I stay, actually it's more like a mount-hill. And your right the tide also effect us in Chuuk but I also know for a fact that it's also effecting Yap. A good thing about living in Chuuk is that we have the hammers to build and solve our problems.
  • That would take a lot of hammers and years of hammering to solve.
    B-)
  • Better radio Thor to come over and help.
    ANd for the record, good job to the RMI for showing some innovative collaboration. We need some electric cars here too. Electric cars would cut CO2 emissions and the demand for more fuel. HOW long would it take to charge one and how much CO2 does it emit compared to a conventional car?
  • edited October 2015
    that's a good idea! that should be started on the other islands as well... the more electric cars, the better for the environment!
  • HOW long would it take to charge one and how much CO2 does it emit compared to a conventional car?

The Fit EV does not produce any CO2 emissions.

Q: What is the driving range on the Fit EV?
    A: The Fit EV received an EPA combined driving-range rating (adjusted) of 82 miles on a single charge. 

Q: How long does it take to recharge the battery?
    A: The battery can be fully recharged in as little as 3 hours from a low-charge indicator illumination point using a 240-volt charger or 15 hours using a dedicated household 120-volt circuit.

• It should produce CO2 emissions at the power plant while charging, however yes you're right with the Fit EV zero emissions. 82 miles that's circling around the island at least 9 times! The charging time is OK, at least not 24 hours.
  • Sadly, Honda has temporarily suspended production of this particular car.  Its price (($35,000) and consumer concerns about the lack of charging stations are reportedly responsible.

But on the positive side, more and more car manufacturers are producing both hybrid (gas and electric combo) and all-electric vehicles with longer ranges and improved batteries. It is only a matter of time before these eco-friendlier vehicles replace most of the carbon-polluting vehicles on our streets and highways.

Electricity is also being produced increasingly by wind, solar, ocean thermal, and ocean tidal power.  Coal and diesel-powered generators are slowly but steadily being phased out around the world.
  • These are just the beginning/early stage of the transition from fossil to renewable energy. So all kinds of discoveries or flaws will be made known and can improve upon. The process is not gonna be an overnight change. But surely, man is getting there. The hope now is that there will not be any new side effect discoveries on what is thought to be environmentally friendly.
  • Don't worry chuukese, keep hammering away until the problems are solved. Mind you no drinking while hammering.
  • This is a nice share. I really liked reading this post. The electric cars are very nice and they are eco friendly so more people are replacing their cars with ECs. I am veteran in this electric vehicle world so would like to get Electric car buyers guide so that I can decide on the best EC for personal use.
  • I am not sure this is eco friendly as some have been claiming. What would happen to the batteries when they are no longer needed? Do they evaporate or will they contribute to the pollution in Majuro and beyond?