Challenge to Chuuk District 5 Congressional Candidates

edited November 2006 in General
To My Honorable Candidates: Christlib, Lokopwe, Nelson, and Smith:

Thank you for choosing to run for the important office to represent me and the people from Pattiw, Weitto, and Pafeng in the FSM Congress. From my vantage point...I can basically see that I have to decide between the inexperience of youth or the wisdom of age, the freshness of new leadership or the banality of the old boys club, the traditional ways or the modern possibilities, the inexperienced, the has beens, or the new untested leaders. I'm sure you all have your personal reasons to run for office, but since you are asking for my and everyone's vote I'd respectfully like you to answer the following questions:

1) Simion Innocenti: Tragically, more than 20 years of public service went down the drain by Mr. Innocenti's indictment in several counts of criminal activities including the misappropriation of public funds. What was once the proud name associated with Houk is now sadly the shame of District 5 and a painful reminder of the presence of corruption in Chuuk State. What concrete steps have you or will you make to never again repeat Mr. Innocenti's abominable acts of violating the public's trust? Why should we trust you to lead our District on a national level?

2) Education: Recently, Wei-Pat Jr. High School (9th & 10th graders) was forced by the incompetent State leadership to accept 11th and 12th graders without additional teachers, budget, lunch program, classroom spaces, etc. Likewise, Pattiw Jr. High School (9th & 10th graders) was consolidated with the Polowat Elementary School without additional classrooms, budget, etc. Such administrative decisions made up in the Governor's office and forced down to the municipalities have violated every theory of sound educational administration. What can you do from the national level to help these two schools?

3) Personal Wealth over Public Health: For more than 10 years in office, it appers Mr. Innocenti squantered all kinds of public funds to build up his own personal wealth. Among his unethical business practices, he cleverly awarded major nationally-funded contracts to his own businesses to build airports and infrastructures in the islands. Yet, when challenged to fund a scholarship fund to help outer islanders to go on to college, he refused. What steps can you make to incentify students from your District to excel in high school and college?

Supposedly, Pafeng has the highest number of people who have been found with the HIV virus. If that's accurate, how do you plan to help educate people about the devastating affects of the AIDS epidemic on our small communities?

4) Public Awareness: One of contributing factors to Mr. Innocenti's downfall was his lack of accountability. He controlled all funds, personnel, and expenditures without a transparency needed in those small close-knit communities in the outer islands. People were afraid to ask and he fed on that insecurity by keeping a closed book on his accounting practices. What steps can and will you make to maintain a transparent leadership both in funds and visions?

5) Economic Stimulus: The Pattiw and Namonweitto Authorities were doomed to fail from the start. And failed they did because they had no sound business plans and incompetent leaders. What kind of plans do you have to stimulate economic development in District 5 which has the added challenge of being so far away from the commercial center on Weno?

6) Women in Leadership: How will you help the people of District 5 make sense of the modern changes affecting all societies...especially, the need for women in public leadership roles.

I have more so many more questions for you, but let's start with these for now.

Respectfully yours,

Vidalino Raatior

Comments

• Vid,

Brilliant questions, let us sit back and watch.
  • Thanks, Rebel. Hopefully someone on this forum has access to these gentlemen and can alert them to these questions or else you and I will be doodling and never get answers. In the end, I'll have to vote for the lesser of 4 evils.
  • Still waiting...
  • Vid,

Good questions. I bet they do not know how to response to them. Send them directly.

Adios
  • vid, remember that your priesthood attempt went down the drain cause my spiritual believe in catholic church in total dismay. You used to be my idol. It was from you I learned to kneel down with both hands raised up during the blessing of the eucharist and from you I learned to be humble.
  • While the point finger is pointing there..... the rest of the fingers are pointing back at you.... Beware of your environment... Just a caution!
  • edited December 2006
    Hello Saddam,

My heart goes out to you for inadvertendly causing you to lose your humility. Let me try and explain a complex spiritual journey to you to help you get back on track. First, you should know that my "priesthood" did not go down the drain as you claim. The calling to that noble lifestyle is for those who feel the call from God to answer it. It's a personal decision based on prayerful contemplation which can take years of searching. My decision to be true to God's calling and leave the Jesuits after 10 years of training is the right decision for me which was/is pure all the way through. It was a difficult personal decision to leave the training before being ordained a Catholic priest. It was made after years of prayerful discernment...something which you will never understand or know not because you don't have the capacity but because it's truly between me and my Lord. I could've stayed and not be true to what I felt was God's true desire for me or stay in it and be miserable and lead people like yourself further down the life of ignorance. I would imagine that had I left that life after reaching the ultimate goal of becoming a priest, you probably would've felt even more dubbed. At least now I can explain this to you with the hope that you continue to belief in the God that you and I both worship, love others, and speak up for justice. The only "idol" we should have is Christ, not a seminarian, not a priest, not a wanporon, not a church, not money, and god knows not politicians. Just the Lord Himself. Don't let anyone including myself fool you into worshiping other false idols. That's Christian Understanding 101 for you, Saddam (whoever you are).

On the issue of humility in democracy: You should know that the central value in a democratic government is to question publically elected officials or candidates; they are public servants and not public chiefs. They may think (and many do) that they are chiefs and proceed to manipulate the community into following their every whim (even corrupt ways). Saddam, don't let them fool you. Our responsibility as voters is to know who and what you're voting into office. Asking questions and challenging your democratically elected (or candidates) officials as I have here in this public forum is not less humble. In fact, it is a responsibility and a duty of every member of a democracy to challenge those who are asking to represent you in the government eventhough it appears to run counter to our Micronesian value of humility. Remember, traditional chiefs are not elected into office; they are culturally recognized leaders of the community. We had no obligation to question them, because we did not elect them into their leadership roles in the first place. Your political candidates, on the other hand, are elected officials which gives you and me the RIGHT and DUTY to challenge them. Even more importantly, elected officials have the RESPONSIBILITY to represent our values, needs, desires. But we can never know if they are representing us unless we question them. Maybe that's why our people continued to blindly elect corrupt politicians into office term after term. That's Democracy 101 for you, Saddam.

If you care for justice, get off your holy rollin' knees, live the real message of the Eurcharist by standing up against the idol of political corruption. Don't let sacks of rice, fiberglass boats, turkey tails, and handouts blur your clear vision of what is right. If you care to claim your right in this democratic government, then stop hiding behind the screen name of an evil dictator and join me to speak up against corrupt politicians. If you can't live within those two callings, then you should probably stop ranting in court, bust your ass out of prison, join forces with the Taliban, reclaim your dictatorship, rebuild the toppled statues of your self idolatry, and live fearfully thereafter.

With love,
    Vid
  • edited December 2006
    Vinnie,

I have no problem accepting the blame of my 4 fingers, but I have not asked people to vote for me nor will I do that. Therefore, I have no public funds to squeeze into my already fat pocket. My pocket is already filled with self-blame for not speaking up sooner against corrupt leaders. It's that one darn middle finger that just keeps popping out of place for which I can't bend. It keeps pointing towards corrupt politicians. I just can't help it.
  • Vid,remember me? in PIC's cafeteria during a variety show when you shouted at us during our marching dance? this is when i was attending CCM now COMFSM...emailing from Yap..anyways, merry x mas in advance...i heard Fr. Kenneth is coming to Yap? do you know when? kone puan nom...
  • Stingray...hows it going? I trust that you're keeping up with the dance moves. I hear my dear compatriot Fr. Ken U is taking care of business at Xavier for now. I can't keep up with him these days as I'm here in California and he's back saving souls on his old stomping ground of Mabuchi Hill. I did hear that he'll be coming to Yap for the Christmas celebrations and maybe even sail out to Satawal for some much deserved fishing retreats. Merry Christmas to you and family.
  • edited December 2006
    All I want for Christmas is...answers from my candidates.

Does anyone know the mailing addresses for my honorable candidates? I'm guessing none of them have access to a computer. I'm hoping to send them my list of questions so Santa can deliver a book of answers for Christmas.
  • Vid,

You remind me of one of Jimmy Cliff's song.."Sitting in a Limbo"... My friend Vid you just have to get use to sitting there as I believe the candidates from your region will not provide any answers for your questions. They are simply afraid of you confronting them on all levels knowing that you are not a BS Artist but a straight shooter.

I commend you for your boldness, firey intellect and crunching honesty. That is what I call rebel by heart but conservative by temper. But for me you are another Rebel as you are sick of tempering the wild and crazy political animals in your NW region.

Merry Xmas to you.
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks, Rebel. I guess it takes a fellow Rebel to know one. I stand in humble rebellious state with you. I hope I don't have to wait forever for these gentlemen to diaologue with me. But then what a great song to describe the hope and hopelessness of it all. I guess I might as well start singing until somebody starts flinging answers at me. So, I'm...

Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long
    Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song
    Well they're putting up resistance
    But I know my faith will lead me on

Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll
    Sitting here in limbo, got some time to search my soul
    But I know that my faith will lead me on

I don't know where life will lead me
    But I know where I've been
    I can't say what life will show me
    But I know what I've seen
    Tried my hand at love and friendship
    But all that is passed and gone
    This little boy is moving on

Sitting here in limbo waiting for the tide to flow
    Sitting here in limbo knowing that I have to go

I don't know where life will lead me
    But I know where I've been
    I can't say what life will show me
    But I know what I've seen
    Tried my hand at love and friendship
    But all that is passed and gone
    This little boy is moving on

Sitting here in limbo waiting for the tide to flow
    Sitting here in limbo knowing that I have to go

Sitting in limbo
    Sitting in limbo

P.S. I went to a Jimmy Cliff concert back in 1998 in San Francisco and loved the man's revolutionary soul. Have a Merry Christmas too.
  • Thank God for the Christmas. It is this time of year somewhere beginnig in the 02s, I reclaimed the aroma of sweet faith in my church that was turned sour by your desicion of leaving the priesthood training. (I still remember some verses of the song that we put together for your ordained celebration day that never come) I hope the people of Houk and Onoun were recovered from the "NICHIPUNG" you had bestowed upon 'em. Your decision was a total ignominy to the people of Lemwar, Efong, and the entire people of Houk and Onoun. That is your stigma that would stick to you forever. Sadly, you just took a leap of dive into the open sea of the pacific ocean with out saying good bye to the people of Onoun.

I would say thats a heck of a dive for so long you hold your breath under the water. Incredibly, you pop-out from San Fran,California (by the way I like the way your governor pronounce that california) and questioning the eligibility of our canditates for congress . Why not questioning the eligibility of the mayors, the state rep., state senators or even the governor of Chuuk? Whats in your prayer now politics? after you had filled our heart with painful mortification with your showing-off Jesuit training that awarded a white certification of acomplishment in San Fran California? C'mon buddy, lets just sit and sing reggae song.

ps: I wish to add list of steps for people of Houk when I find a right one in my folder. Hey a guy from Houk wants to know where on the coconut tree we connect our internet line to?

I wish you a merry merry christmas hermano Vid:)
  • edited December 2006
    Poor Saddam,

Obviously, you have a shallow faith since it's focused on a seminarian. Happy to inform you that I feel absolutely no "stigma" for making the right decision to leave the Jesuit training. I'm proud of it and blessed to have done the training for 10 years. As for the "nichipung' you mentioned...well, that I can't change. I didn't go into the training for the people of Houk or Onoun so I owe them no explanation. As for the "white certification of accomplishment in San Fran California" I take it you're referring to my Masters degree in educational administration from the University of San Francisco. You should know that I worked hard to earn that degree on my own by my own hard work, financial sacrifices, without any help from you, the Jesuits, or from the people of Onoun or Houk. My other certifications in theology and philosophy were from the Jesuits, but I'm not using any of those certification to make a living other than to help explain the faith to shalow-minded and ignorant people like you. Anyways, you wouldn't know what that means since you probably haven't had to suffer through the years of earning a masters degree. And when I get my PhD I will have nothing in my heart but pride. If you want to consider that showing-off, then so be it. Lastly, don't worry about me ever asking for your vote for public office, because I have no desire to run. I'm happy being an educator and challenging those who dare represent me. Maybe you should put your name in the mix since you speak like a true politician.

Peace,
    Vid
  • saddam, i think you personally envy Vid for being such a good gentlemen. i believe him when he said it is not his call or his decision to leave the priesthood.anyway i hope you are not hungry for being a politician or maybe you are already one or you are one of the CROOKS. merry christmas to you all.
  • Vid,

I was wondering where in the heck you have been hiding. You've made some well thought out questions and I can only hope someone (candidates) will deliver in the end with answers. My friend, if I may be of any use to your search, and perhaps to ease you up a bit on this subject of debate, let me say that your candidates are very likely made aware of your posting. Will they come forth in their true name to answer is the question. My feeling is that you may never get true reply from them but nonetheless, your message is out there. I am sure they are nibbling on it and deciding whether they should bite. Unfortunately for them, they may see it in that sense rather than what it genuinely is; a concern voter needing answers before casting his valuable vote. Man, if only I was running from your district, I will take you up on this one and pick your brain until you drop or I drop of mental drains but I am not. What a lost opportunity for us to go head to head on this. Be assure Vid that your 5 candidates and Saddam are watching and listening but I know they will, like so many before them, play it off in their own ways. My five cents advice is for you to have someone in Chuuk go after them with a microphone and record their answers to be posted later in this public forum. Heck, why not have Saddam to that job for you. He sure sounds like he is in the spirit of this season which is always good for redemptions. For now, I sit with you and join in the singing except I brought with me a "saki" of faluba for this newly form circle. Ciao
  • edited December 2006
    Thank you, Sting and Refaluach... I have no hard feeling for Saddam. I just feel sorry for him/her for hiding cowardly hiding a dictator's name and attempting to skew the dialogue away from the real issues. I have a feeling this Saddam character (much like his/her former dictator hero ) is still stuck in a hole...probably filled handouts from some certain convicted politician. I think that's probably why he/she has chosen to take the attention from the real issue of debates. Poor Saddam.

Refaluach...how are you my brother? Email me as I'm anxious to catch up on news about you and the fam. The Dons have done some major recruiting this year and slated to give the Broncos a good run for their money. The Broncos pay my bills so I find myself rooting vocally for them while screaming in the heart for my Dons.

Sting...keep dancing :)
  • Vid, if you seriously want answers to your questions, stop this comments about waiting and do something more. Like, contact them directly then post their answers on this forum if you wish to broadcast them. Isn't it obvious that they are not answering? I for one, believe a few of them do not get on micsem, maybe they don't even surf the internet. Do you really want their answers or do you just want to prove to people how much more knowledgeable you are than they are?

Just wondering.
  • Now there's a brilliant idea from you, ATE. Why don't we work together to get their answers posted. Can you get me their mailing addresses from the FSM Election Commission Office and I'll personally send them these questions? I promise to post their answers verbatim on this forum for all NW voters to know.

And please give the honorable candidates and some respect and credit. They know alot more than you think and definitely much more than I will ever know. We just need to challenge them to educate us on issues affecting our beloved Northwest Region.
  • vid and sadam, please go buy yourself some oxygen tanks for them guys never going to answer your querries, so you gonna wait longer than that. how do I know? first of all, they are out til late comapigning, second, the power is always out so no internet, and third, they don't know how to use the computer, fourth, they are scratching their heads wondering what you talking about? eeeee!!

if challenge is what you are looking for, please go run a marathon, because you will never get it from them guys, it be like milking a faw!!! no milk from the rock bro!!! gotta go to the cows!!!