Sign the Petition to Keep Fr. Fran Hezel, SJ, in Micronesia Where He Belongs! http://goo.gl/8LnxsW
Chamorros and being Micronesian (Guam/CNMI)
  • Hi MicSem,

I know this topic has been thrown around here a lot, but I feel like as a self-identified Chamorro (even if I am half white), born and raised on Guam, I feel like I should defend my people as there are not much on here to really put in word.

The question: Are people from Guam/CNMI (Chamorros) Micronesian? Yes, geographically we are along with Palau, FSM, Marshalls, Kosrae, etc. Do we consider ourselves Micronesians? Yes, but you will rarely come across a Chamorro who first introduces him/herself as a Micronesian and for the following reason I hope I can explain right and clearly.

The reason being that unlike the other islands in Micronesia, Guam and the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands are separated politically even though they are the same islands with the same indigenous people in the same island chain, one being a U.S. Territory the other a Commonwealth (Imagine Koror being divided by Peliliu politically). All together we are one island chain referred to as the Marianas inhabited by the indigenous Chamorro people, except on Saipan where there is a second indigenous group called the Carolinians that share Saipan with the Chamorros. People from Guam are often called Guamanian, those from Saipan called Saipanese, etc. We typically don't use this term unless speaking to people from the mainland as most don't know what a "Chamorro" is. When speaking with each other or to fellow pacific islanders, we say Chamorro as that is who we are. Guamanian can be used to describe a person of another ethnicity born and raised on Guam and so on. As you can see, adding "Micronesian" just makes it a tad more confusing and is another label. We are not ashamed, nor do we deny, that we are Micronesian. As brothers and sisters divided by the U.S. politically, we feel one using Chamorro and is how most of us introduces ourselves, the second being Guamanian/Saipanese/Tinianese/Rotanese, and then Micronesian. So in a nutshell, we don't deny being Micronesian as we clearly are. 

As you can see, the same islands along the same chain. All inhabited by one people, the Chamorros, but separated politically. 
  • Ofcourse !!!
  • Thank you for a warm explanation, Chamorro/Haole. Hopefully that's how more Guaminians see it.

I think many MICRONESIANS see it the way you do, and still there are those who deny and are ashamed to be called Micronesians. I have personally come across Guaminians/Chamorros who have said to my face "You Micronesians...." not once, twice, but at least three times. Friends have also complained about the so called Chamorro attitude. 

I am just very glad to hear from a Chamorro, yourself, how you would define a Micronesian. Thank you very much, chamaole01. Please educate our other Guaminian brothers and sisters of that you've shared here with us. Likewise, we are doing all we can to educate ours here in the islands and there on Guam to behave while on our second home. Bless you!

• I have personally come across Guaminians/Chamorros who have said to my face "You Micronesians...." not once, twice, but at least three times. Friends have also complained about the so called Chamorro attitude. 
    Sinbad, on Guam as with Hawaii, I'm sure you know there is a high crime rate that involve those from the FSM. "Micronesian" is a term commonly used by FSMers, most especially Chuukese. It's understandable as it is a shorter way of saying FSM and I'm sure they know, and are proud, that they're not the only Micronesians. I know many Chuukese who are ashamed of some of their rotten apples' acts, not all are the same, we understand that. On Guam, we tend to be very peaceful. We are welcoming to all races as long as we get the respect back, that's how Chamorros are and I'm sure with all the other pacific islands. It's a sad reality here that a lot of the crimes are caused by Chuukese and I hope I don't offend anyone, it's just the truth. That doesn't make us want to be Micronesians any less, but once again, the term "Micronesian" is used more by people from Chuuk and that's probably what they mean when they say that. Typically when I meet a Pohnpeian or Yapese they introduce themselves as that and don't really use Micronesian first.
  • Yes, thank you, I understand where you are coming from. Have a good one!

• The problem is alcohol. Once taken over by the alcohol its a whole different story. I know for a fact. Alot of nice, generous young chuukese mens & even older ones who just drink & all of us sudden are "crazy" i know they should've just stop if they cant hang, but like every human beings they have their right to do what they do.
    Im not trying to back them up but its whats happening.
  • That's true Folueisomw. Was there alcohol present in Chuuk's history? I know there's Sakau in Pohnpei, Yap, and Palau? Correct me if I'm wrong. It seems Chuukese people have low tolerance to alcohol. Sober, they're one of the nicest Micronesians I'd say, especially the women, beautiful too. 
  • There was no such thing. Idk if it was introduced earlier by spanish & Germans as they were the first to colonize micronesia & ofcourse japanese & USA followed. But in the olden days there really was no such thing as alcohol & i dont know why we use the word sakau to refer to alcohol in chuukese? & yes yhu are right they can be the nicest people until they are controled by alcohol its really a different story.
  • That's funny... I'm married to chuukese and not once have I heard anyone in his family introduce themselves as micronesian.. always Chuukese first.. and there's bad apples in every race.. I know other people who makes trouble and claim to be chuukese, which is unfortunate cuz it just adds on more to their rep... there's reasons why people drink and act out... sometimes its a call for help.. more people needs to be understanding then judgemental.... I never heard any chuukese drink sakau!! Its not even in their culture...well that's my statement....

• There was no such thing. Idk if it was introduced earlier by spanish & Germans as they were the first to colonize micronesia & ofcourse japanese & USA followed. But in the olden days there really was no such thing as alcohol & i dont know why we use the word sakau to refer to alcohol in chuukese? & yes yhu are right they can be the nicest people until they are controled by alcohol its really a different story.

What about the drink that is derived from catching the Aachy ( Tuba in the Marianas) from the young coconut fruits?
  • Ennui yhur right & on my island we call it FALUPWA(uman).

PassingThru yes it isn't part of our culture. I was just saying " idnt knw why we chuukese use the word sakau to refer to alcohol "
  • yes! tuba is a Micronesian version of alcohol, I know my ancestors made it long ago, we also eat lemai (bread fruit) taro, soup in coconut milk, banana in coconut milk to name a few, these are chamorro food too...Now the Filipinos don't eat these food... so how could they even connect to chamorros TDJakes..
  • You are soooooooo ignorant. Filipinos eat ALL of those. Filipinos even chew betel nut but only old folks. Its an old tradition
  • We call breadfruit "rimas" and we call taro "gabi". And you didnt mention purple yam but we call that "ubi" and in Samoa they call it "ufi" and Hawaiians call it "uhi" and Fijians call it "uvi" Same food, slightly different names. And did i mention that old Filipinos in rural areas chew betel nut

And of course we have tuba. We even call it "tuba"

http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Tuba
  • So TDJakes, because all those words sound the same, they must be Filipino by your standards huh? We all have things in common of course from the Phil. to Hawaii we are all in the Pacific, but that doesn't mean that we all come from the Phil. The Fils came from SEA as with most, or all, Pacific Islanders.
  • That's funny... I'm married to chuukese and not once have I heard anyone in his family introduce themselves as micronesian.. always Chuukese first.. and there's bad apples in every race.. I know other people who makes trouble and claim to be chuukese, which is unfortunate cuz it just adds on more to their rep... there's reasons why people drink and act out... sometimes its a call for help.. more people needs to be understanding then judgemental.... I never heard any chuukese drink sakau!! Its not even in their culture...well that's my statement....

Not all Chuukese, my point was it is more common with them to use the term Micro. I go to UOG where there's many of them and I hear a lot of them say Micronesian in class. It's just my observation, I'm not generalizing that they all use the term as their first ethnicity when introducing themselves.
  • The point is that you said that Filipinos dont eat taro, breadfruit, tuba etc and then i proved that we have all those things. You even called tuba the Micronesian version of alcohol but we have the same thing and we call it "tuba" also. Everything is interconnected in this region
  • ok TDJakes, I wasn't aware of that. we call it tuba too. the philipinos I met never ate these things in coconut milk..
  • TDJakes said:

The point is that you said that Filipinos dont eat taro, breadfruit, tuba etc and then i proved that we have all those things. You even called tuba the Micronesian version of alcohol but we have the same thing and we call it "tuba" also. Everything is interconnected in this region

Yes, so please get that through your head and quit trying to single out Chamorros. And NO Pacific Islander race came directly from the Phil., South East Asia, not the PHIL. 
  • pacific islanders all came from Taiwan but they had to pass through Philippines. So they came from the Philippines too. Look at the Austronesian migration maps
    In the case of Chamorros, our people came from Wallacea 5,000/3,000 years ago. Prior to that, they came from Sunda (then a supercontinent) and then ISEA or SEA which included the Phil and Indonesia, so it wasn't the Phil yet. 12,000 years is a long time ago, the Filipinos then did not look like the Filipinos now or the Filipinos 3,000 years ago. Our people spent more time in isolation in Wallacea than in ISEA or SEA, so that does not make us a direct ancestor of a Filipino. Please refer to the image and delight yourself. Please quit trying to credit the Phil, stop being foolish.
  • I saw this picture in the news paper !! Lol tdjake thinks philipinos are a major race. Lol very funny !! During the time chamorros came, the philipinos were never even there yet !!!!
  • & Tdjake, do yhu philipinos have a word for sweet potato? In chuukese we call it kamuu.
  • Tuba in the Chuukese language: Lagoon people call it Fonupwa; western islanders in Chuuk call it Falupwa. Traditionally, it was a ceremonial drink. The western islanders still practice that, not much though, if not at all, in the lagoon. But it is a cultural drink. We don't call it Tuba, as you can see we have its name in our language. Maybe Uman does not have a name for that drink, as Folu says.

As for our origin, I do not know. Very impressive how you folks know yours and others' origin.

You all have a good day.
  • Captain we call it falupwa !! Lol & none deinks it no more.
  • & Tdjake, do yhu philipinos have a word for sweet potato? In chuukese we call it kamuu.

We call it kamote

In the case of Chamorros, our people came from Wallacea 5,000/3,000 years ago. Prior to that, they came from Sunda (then a supercontinent) and then ISEA or SEA which included the Phil and Indonesia, so it wasn't the Phil yet. 12,000 years is a long time ago, the Filipinos then did not look like the Filipinos now or the Filipinos 3,000 years ago. Our people spent more time in isolation in Wallacea than in ISEA or SEA, so that does not make us a direct ancestor of a Filipino. Please refer to the image and delight yourself. Please quit trying to credit the Phil, stop being foolish.

That map is only half of the story. It doesn't show how Austronesian people got to Wallacea. They came from Taiwan, through the Philippines, then they got to Indonesia, then they went to Marianas
  • TDJ, Micronesia is missing from your map.  The map only shows Polynesian and Melanesian migrations, not Micronesian.

Or do you think that Polynesians and Melanesians and Micronesians are all the same?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Top Posters

1. pekalong 7673
  2. sinbad 4229
  3. ssearcher1 3442
  4. Child_Justice 3366
  5. Ninsei 2601

Who's Online (1)

In this Discussion