Ancient Micronesian Navigation Teqhniques.

Marshallese who are Micronesian represent how early micronesians navigate the Pacific. Ancient Marshallese developed the Stick Chart,The first and only technique that mapped the SWELLS OF THE OCEAN,These Micronesians who colonize the two chains which totaled 1,225 islands which make up the Marshall islands were even found as far as New Zealand to the south and believed to have sailed to the East as far as Hawaii.

"Traditional Marshallese navigational skills were equally sophisticated.
When the initial settlers of the Marshalls arrived, they were already
equipped with complex navigational skills — otherwise, they could not
have found their way to these low-lying islands. As time progressed,
these skills were only sharpened. Ultimately, Marshallese learned to
literally read nature's faint and subtle signs. Stars, clouds, waves,
currents, winds, birds, and even the color of the ocean, bore
recognizable clues which were easily read by trained navigators. These
advancements in both maritime knowledge and canoe design allowed
Marshallese to commonly sail as far as Hawaii to the east, Enenkio (Wake
Island) to the north, Pohnpei to the west and Kiribati to the south"....

This proves that Micronesians were superb seafearers Then,What about Now??? Are the Marshallese still touch with their past? Or have they Lost their Skills through WESTERNIZATION.

Comments

• Mau is from Satawal, Yap.

• Chuukese & outer island Yap still practice the art till this very day & are passing it on to other island nation & not all Chuukese accepted the fact.
  • edited September 2013
  • Marshallese who are Micronesian represent how early micronesians navigate the Pacific. Ancient Marshallese developed the Stick Chart,The first and only technique that mapped the SWELLS OF THE OCEAN,These Micronesians who colonize the two chains which totaled 1,225 islands which make up the Marshall islands were even found as far as New Zealand to the south and believed to have sailed to the East as far as Hawaii.

"Traditional Marshallese navigational skills were equally sophisticated.
    When the initial settlers of the Marshalls arrived, they were already
    equipped with complex navigational skills — otherwise, they could not
    have found their way to these low-lying islands. As time progressed,
    these skills were only sharpened. Ultimately, Marshallese learned to
    literally read nature's faint and subtle signs. Stars, clouds, waves,
    currents, winds, birds, and even the color of the ocean, bore
    recognizable clues which were easily read by trained navigators. These
    advancements in both maritime knowledge and canoe design allowed
    Marshallese to commonly sail as far as Hawaii to the east, Enenkio (Wake
    Island) to the north, Pohnpei to the west and Kiribati to the south"....

This proves that Micronesians were superb seafearers Then,What about Now??? Are the Marshallese still touch with their past? Or have they Lost their Skills through WESTERNIZATION.

Now we're Micronesians? ...hahahaha
  • Is it true that the stick chart which was used by Marshallese is the only and first technique that mapped the swell of the ocean? I thought the stick chart was a yappese thing?
    Wrong dude the stick chart is a M@R$H@77323 thing bro.
  • Stick chart is Marshallese, and Marshallese alone
  • Only they can read that or use it to navigate, at least today.
  • yes, it is definitely a marshallese then but somehow someone had reworked into the helicopter mode today and It becomes the main attraction in the area especially from the airport all way down to the end of Laura island. Marshallese people are very creative and most efficient in what they do today.
  • Atleast us dudes from marshall ride the copter while you guys ride the wheelbarow.hahaha...Stick charts style to copter style is way better.hehehe...
  • times have changed...image
  • We still have our skills but u knoe how it izz...marshallese r da silent type, I learned how to use da wapeepe frm mah grandada...dont knw bout u guys but I knw 1type of navigational lore.
  • edited December 2013
    i still dont get that Marshallese Helicopter thing!? lol
  • edited December 2013
    I don't mean to belittle the ancient Marshallese warriors sophisticated skills but that stick-chart was only instrumental within a specific area. It was designed for within perimeter of constant contact only i.e close range islands or neighboring islands like Kosrae, Pohnpei, and the Pohnpeian Islands in between. It was designed for stationary navigational skills, like easy sails of familiarity. It has a limit! and the limit is marked at where Marshallese has been to, like places have historical accounts of Marshallese assault i.e places mentioned.

Now, the references of Marshallese been to far and beyond i.e the Polynesian territory and close neighboring area? was false! It was a misinformation and miss-identity. Unfortunately, it was written down and stayed in our dear old books to convinced our new young and proud generation.

Can the stick-chart expand and utilized for far distance area i.e Polynesian territory and neighboring islands? Yes it can! but it was more complicated and can easily founded an error within the chart itself if you were to sit on the Marshall Islands and charted the entire Pacific Ocean. That's why it was only an instrumental stick-chart for close range navigation only!!. Within the Marshall Islands, the distance between each respective islands and how they were geographically sets in place was Perfect for the stick chart. Especially when marked each islands and names of special meaning i.e "Ailuk", where in the Central Caroline Islands it was simply "illuk" or Alinglapalap vs Maloelap, Rongorik vs Rongolap and the list goes on. Each islands served a purpose to its name of identity and of each one of their respective location. Along with their locations and baptizing names, the distance and current flow, types, swells of different characters were easily identified due to frequent travels within the same RAMEN BOWL, no matter how much NOODLES you can forked or spoon, anybody could easily forked it up or scoop it up in any way and any form because it was much simple and easy.

How can they used the stick chart to make a trip toward Hawaii or New Zealand? They'll have to to collect stick-charts of all islands within the route of travel, natives of those islands in the way who sits and master their own RAMEN BOWL will have to submit all their RAMEN BOWL stick-charts to help connect to reach the destine place of travel. Unfortunately this skills vanished quickly thus make the Marshall Islands the ONLY capable stick-charter of swells as said and documented.

Why was it only survived in the Marshall Islands? because of the number of islands and limitations of travel which reflect the sole purpose of the stick-charts alone, the fact that it was designed and will equipped the traveler within short distance only.

Can you see any other type of ancient stick-charts in the museums? well! it says it was only the Marshallese who possess the sophisticated skills isn't? and if by any chance, you find one A-level stick chart type or maybe B-level stick charts of swells from other places, those were probably the only or last remain surviving stick charts of an unknown place besides the Marshallese stick charts due to the fact that it was vanished and the skills built up were too complicated to master. Not too complicated as in too ROCKET SCIENCE, so don't get me wrong! it was too complicated as in, you'll have to built or master the skills the hard way which wasn't necessary cus it will be too time consuming and the fact that it wasn't the only by way of means to Navigate existed in those time. There were better ways and much easier, understandable, protected and spirited skills to commit to i.e used the entire Universe as a whole by ways of stars, birds, floater and swells type and description, which you would rather not spending an entire time studying just that one factor (Swells) by crafting sticks together when you can equipped yourself with the other resources and put it in a package to go as far as you can without requiring like you would if you were to use a stick chart alone. By then you'll be required to borrow stick chart from other places to connect your pathway on your journey.

The star compass the Carolinian used was much more universal as I've said before. It shape the planet and then you work your way inward by means of using the stars above you and locating islands and distance in between. They used the swells too and all the same crazy details of how was a stick charts put together but when they travel far distance? they have to reduce the detailing of swells and generalize them into the smallest number as they could and start applying the other factors i.e the wind, the birds and stars that will never leave your sight.

The close range islands in Chuuk Lagoon could be the first one to loose the stick chart because all the islands were visible from one island onto another and they connect within sight of radius. Same will goes for the Mortlock Islands geographical settings and the Outer islands of Yap but they no longer find the used of the stick chart along with other existed charts that was composed of the swells and the other living organisms. There were many other ways and sophisticated skills where the charts doesn't even look flat but like other type of charts of all the things within a specific area exactly the same way the Marshallese used the flat stick charts to sail.

None of all the many sophisticated skills existed anymore, they vanished quickly for that particular reason. You can live, sail and do all the things a stick charts could offer you but more by used of the STAR COMPAS, it is simple in shape and you could disrupt it right after use but it holds thousands of prayers, spells, and many information which will be invisible from the lips into the ear and stays in the brain tissue vs crafting up a stick charts and hold onto it and the whole world could see it.

The Marshallese scholars themselves claimed and proudly proclaim how quick the westerners lay eyes on the charts and the fact that it took years for others to learn about the Carolinian way of navigation. Which was the reason of the miss-information and miss-identity of claiming the Marshallese were spotted at far end of the Pacific Rim when it was actually the ancient Carolinians who frequent the entire area non-stop just by looking up to the sky and pointing one finger straight forward and sail on. The similarity of Canoes, ornaments and dialect language of our islands cause this OUTRAGE!..when some of the Central Caroline islands went far and beyond, the Marshallese with many similarities who were already at the time, commercializing their one and only sophisticated Stick-Chart claim identity. Now they might as well just become the royals of the entire Micronesian Region.
  • edited December 2013
    Stick chart is one of Many Navigation techniques used by Marshallese. Navigation by stars is also one them,navigation by stars was never thought to outsiders cause the chiefs consider it a knowledge that is sacred and is still forbidden to teach this to outsiders.There is also the technique of wave navigation that has been perfected by marshallese,there are three kinds of wave pattern and this 3 wave patterns tells how far,how close and what distance is the nearest island to the navigators. Navigation by sea Marks is also another technique. Every Corner of Micronesia have tell tell signs that tell the traveler where they are at. There are sea marks that Marshallese have come to identify to places and location and where this sea marks are at tell the navigators what islands or part of the ocean they are at. There are sea Marks that identify with Mwoakilloa,Pinglep,Kosrae and Pohnpei. This knowledge is more sacred then the Stick-chart or Navigation by stars,it is so sacred the chiefs of both the Ralik and the Ratak have placed a "Mo" or taboo on it,This taboo forbid commoners,outsiders to learn this,only the Rimeto clan(people of the sea/Navigation clan)and the Chiefs can learn this technique. The only reason why the Stick Chart is known is because that is the only technique that the chiefs allowed the westerners to learn the other techniques are still kept sacred.
  • FSM navigators had been sailing almost all corners of the pacific.  Why the marshallese were never heard of sailing outside of the marshalls?
  • letao692 do you by any chance know laupepe kijani....he was my teacher...if you teach me the wapepe I can teach you star technique.

• I don't mean to belittle the ancient Marshallese warriors sophisticated skills but that stick-chart was only instrumental within a specific area. It was designed for within perimeter of constant contact only i.e close range islands or neighboring islands like Kosrae, Pohnpei, and the Pohnpeian Islands in between. It was designed for stationary navigational skills, like easy sails of familiarity. It has a limit! and the limit is marked at where Marshallese has been to, like places have historical accounts of Marshallese assault i.e places mentioned.

Now, the references of Marshallese been to far and beyond i.e the Polynesian territory and close neighboring area? was false! It was a misinformation and miss-identity. Unfortunately, it was written down and stayed in our dear old books to convinced our new young and proud generation.

Can the stick-chart expand and utilized for far distance area i.e Polynesian territory and neighboring islands? Yes it can! but it was more complicated and can easily founded an error within the chart itself if you were to sit on the Marshall Islands and charted the entire Pacific Ocean. That's why it was only an instrumental stick-chart for close range navigation only!!. Within the Marshall Islands, the distance between each respective islands and how they were geographically sets in place was Perfect for the stick chart. Especially when marked each islands and names of special meaning i.e "Ailuk", where in the Central Caroline Islands it was simply "illuk" or Alinglapalap vs Maloelap, Rongorik vs Rongolap and the list goes on. Each islands served a purpose to its name of identity and of each one of their respective location. Along with their locations and baptizing names, the distance and current flow, types, swells of different characters were easily identified due to frequent travels within the same RAMEN BOWL, no matter how much NOODLES you can forked or spoon, anybody could easily forked it up or scoop it up in any way and any form because it was much simple and easy.

How can they used the stick chart to make a trip toward Hawaii or New Zealand? They'll have to to collect stick-charts of all islands within the route of travel, natives of those islands in the way who sits and master their own RAMEN BOWL will have to submit all their RAMEN BOWL stick-charts to help connect to reach the destine place of travel. Unfortunately this skills vanished quickly thus make the Marshall Islands the ONLY capable stick-charter of swells as said and documented.

Why was it only survived in the Marshall Islands? because of the number of islands and limitations of travel which reflect the sole purpose of the stick-charts alone, the fact that it was designed and will equipped the traveler within short distance only.

Can you see any other type of ancient stick-charts in the museums? well! it says it was only the Marshallese who possess the sophisticated skills isn't? and if by any chance, you find one A-level stick chart type or maybe B-level stick charts of swells from other places, those were probably the only or last remain surviving stick charts of an unknown place besides the Marshallese stick charts due to the fact that it was vanished and the skills built up were too complicated to master. Not too complicated as in too ROCKET SCIENCE, so don't get me wrong! it was too complicated as in, you'll have to built or master the skills the hard way which wasn't necessary cus it will be too time consuming and the fact that it wasn't the only by way of means to Navigate existed in those time. There were better ways and much easier, understandable, protected and spirited skills to commit to i.e used the entire Universe as a whole by ways of stars, birds, floater and swells type and description, which you would rather not spending an entire time studying just that one factor (Swells) by crafting sticks together when you can equipped yourself with the other resources and put it in a package to go as far as you can without requiring like you would if you were to use a stick chart alone. By then you'll be required to borrow stick chart from other places to connect your pathway on your journey.

The star compass the Carolinian used was much more universal as I've said before. It shape the planet and then you work your way inward by means of using the stars above you and locating islands and distance in between. They used the swells too and all the same crazy details of how was a stick charts put together but when they travel far distance? they have to reduce the detailing of swells and generalize them into the smallest number as they could and start applying the other factors i.e the wind, the birds and stars that will never leave your sight.

The close range islands in Chuuk Lagoon could be the first one to loose the stick chart because all the islands were visible from one island onto another and they connect within sight of radius. Same will goes for the Mortlock Islands geographical settings and the Outer islands of Yap but they no longer find the used of the stick chart along with other existed charts that was composed of the swells and the other living organisms. There were many other ways and sophisticated skills where the charts doesn't even look flat but like other type of charts of all the things within a specific area exactly the same way the Marshallese used the flat stick charts to sail.

None of all the many sophisticated skills existed anymore, they vanished quickly for that particular reason. You can live, sail and do all the things a stick charts could offer you but more by used of the STAR COMPAS, it is simple in shape and you could disrupt it right after use but it holds thousands of prayers, spells, and many information which will be invisible from the lips into the ear and stays in the brain tissue vs crafting up a stick charts and hold onto it and the whole world could see it.

The Marshallese scholars themselves claimed and proudly proclaim how quick the westerners lay eyes on the charts and the fact that it took years for others to learn about the Carolinian way of navigation. Which was the reason of the miss-information and miss-identity of claiming the Marshallese were spotted at far end of the Pacific Rim when it was actually the ancient Carolinians who frequent the entire area non-stop just by looking up to the sky and pointing one finger straight forward and sail on. The similarity of Canoes, ornaments and dialect language of our islands cause this OUTRAGE!..when some of the Central Caroline islands went far and beyond, the Marshallese with many similarities who were already at the time, commercializing their one and only sophisticated Stick-Chart claim identity. Now they might as well just become the royals of the entire Micronesian Region.
    dude you talk about your people's navigational tech nique but u don't knw any yerself.
  • Because they only went as far as Koj-ai-e, Mokil-ioa and Ping-laplap.
  • In western Micronesia the Farthest the Marshallese have been to is Yap,In the South Pacific the Farthest places Marshallese canoes were seen were the Solomon Islands and New Zealand. In Micronesia Yap,Chuuk,Pohnpei,Kapingamarangi,Kosrae,Pinglep,mokill are places Ancient Navigators from Marshalls have been to. To be honest with you the only sea worthy navigators from FSM either back then or now are the ones From Wolae or Satawan,this two islands are outer islanders and Many chuukese even from the Main islands claim credit that they also are navigators but the truth is that only wolae and satawan are renown for navigation.In the Marshall's Navigation was known in both the Ralik and the Ratak chain. All the islands had their own navigators cause the Marshallese off all people in Micronesia spend more time on the sea then on land. We are more at home on sea then on land that is why every islands in the Ralik and Ratak were knwoledgeble in Navigation unlike FSM where the only people who did navigation was Satawanese and Wolaens.
  • Reaper, 

Not only two islands in Yap have sea worthy navigators. I believe all the islands of Yap, including the Northwest islands of Chuuk were and still are known for their navigational skills. To these days, people from Yap are still sailing on their canoes as far as Okinawa without any modern technology. 
  • Reaper you must be from Mars.
  • My point is this its them outer-islanders not them main islanders that know navigation over there in FSM.Never herd of Pohnpeian navigator or a Kosraen to be honest the only ones i've herd of are from Satawan and Wolae,no offense but its true.
  • The past is already navigated. It is the future that we need to be very careful to navigate it safely so we can reach our desired destination.

Did people from the outer islands help the people from mainland Yap get to Palau to quarry the rocks of the Rock Islands for the giant disks known as the biggest money (in terms of size) in the world?

I understand a man named Anugmang travel long and far to get the gaw or whale tooth money for Yap and that he was from the main island. Perhaps he went to Fiji?

Is it possible people from mainland Yap were also navigators. But because of the ships and airplanes they did not see a need to keep the knowledge of navigation by the stars alive so they lost the skill?
  • dude i kno lajjena, he was my navigational teacher too!!!great to kno a person here that knows the star technique...meet me at halawa park on saturday.

• great!!! but where the hell are you talking about, idk where halawa park is
  • edited December 2013
    Reaper:
    NICE POINT!!
  • I LIVE IN RITA VILLAGE, ANMARWUT WETO.WHERE DA HECK DID YOU THINK I LIVE?? POHNPEI. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR C.O.M STUDENTS ONLY!!!

=))
  • Wow, what a great story. Love to learn more...